Knowledge Development in Nursing, 11th Edition
Apply the five patterns of knowing to improve nursing care! Knowledge Development in Nursing: Theory and Process, 11th Edition explores nursing theory and how it is related to nursing research and quality patient care. It examines the principles of knowledge development, using the patterns of knowing to help you develop sound clinical judgment. Each chapter begins with a Basics section, which is followed by a Now That You Know the Basics section providing a deeper understanding of knowledge patterns for more advanced learners. In addition, the content in this edition aligns with the new 2021 AACN Essentials for Nursing Education. Key content in this text is also used as the basis for the creation of the first domain within the AACN Essentials, Knowledge for Nursing Practice, and in other domains within the AACN Essentials. Written by nursing educators Peggy Chinn, Maeona Kramer, and Kathleen Sitzman, this edition reflects the latest thinking in nursing knowledge development and adds emphasis to real-world application.
- Discussion of the five Patterns of Knowing includes empiric, personal, aesthetic, ethical, and emancipatory knowledge, defining the different types of knowledge and how they relate to each other.
- Discussion of evidence-based practice provides examples of how the five patterns of knowing may be applied to nursing practice.
- Coverage of theory, theory development, and the relationship of theory to nursing research and practice helps you learn to apply theory to practice.
- Interpretive summaries highlight the interrelatedness of all patterns of knowing, making it easier to apply all dimensions of knowing to specific chapter content.
- Full-color diagram in the front of the book depicts how the patterns of knowing are related.
- Glossary defines the key terms and concepts of nursing theory.
- NEW! Updated content reflects recent trends in nursing knowledge development and integrates new information on social justice, the implications of challenges such as climate change, and global pandemics.
- NEW! Learning and Study Questions features — emphasizing the application of each chapter's content to nursing practice — are now at the end of each chapter.
- NEW! 2021 AACN Essentials for Nursing Education domains relevant to this text are addressed throughout this new edition.
- NEW! QR codes throughout the text direct you to an animation that explains the patterns of knowing and to resources on Nursology.net that further illustrate and explain the nursing theories in each chapter.
- NEW appendix at the end of the text includes additional learning activities.
1. Nursing’s Fundamental Patterns of Knowing
2. The History of Knowledge Development in Nursing
3. Emancipatory Knowledge Development
4. Ethical Knowledge Development
5. Personal Knowledge Development
6. Aesthetic Knowledge Development
7. Empiric Knowledge Development
8. Description and Critical Reflection of Empiric Theory
9. Knowledge Authentication Processes
10. Integrated Expression of Knowledge in Practice
11. Integrated Expressions: Strengthening the Discipline
Appendix: Interpretive Summary: Examples of Broad Theoretic Frameworks Defining the Scope, Philosophy, and General Characteristics of Nursing
Peggy L. Chinn, PhD, RN, FAAN, University of Connecticut School of Nursing, Storrs, CT, Maeona K. Kramer, APRN, PhD, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT and Kathleen Sitzman