Clinical Nursing Skills and Techniques - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 10th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Learn clinical nursing skills and prepare for success on the Next Generation NCLEX® Examination! Clinical Nursing Skills & Techniques, 10th Edition provides clear, step-by-step guidelines to more than 200 basic, intermediate, and advanced skills. With more than 1,200 full-color illustrations, a nursing process framework, and a focus on evidence-based practice, this manual helps you learn to think critically, ask the right questions at the right time, and make timely decisions. New to this edition are NGN-style unfolding case studies, preparing you for the changes to the NCLEX exam. Written by respected nursing experts Anne Griffin Perry, Patricia A. Potter, Wendy Ostendorf, and Nancy Laplante, this trusted text is the bestselling nursing skills book on the market!
- Comprehensive coverage includes more than 200 basic, intermediate, and advanced nursing skills and procedures.
- NEW! Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN)-style unfolding case studies include answers at the back of the book, providing optimal preparation for the Next Generation NCLEX Examination.
- Rationales for each step within skills explain the why as well as the how of each skill, and include citations from the current literature.
- Clinical Decision Points alert you to key steps that affect patient outcomes and help them modify care as needed to meet individual patient needs.
- Unique! Unexpected Outcomes and Related Interventions sections highlight what might go wrong and how to appropriately intervene.
- Clinical Debrief at the end of each chapter provides case-based review questions that focus on issues such as managing conflict, care prioritization, patient safety, and decision-making.
- More than 1,200 full-color photos and drawings make it easier to visualize concepts and procedures.
- Five–step nursing process format helps you apply the nursing process while learning each skill.
- Coverage of QSEN core competencies is incorporated into each lesson, including the areas of delegation and collaboration, reporting and recording, safety guidelines, and considerations relating to teaching, pediatric, geriatric, and home care.
- Unique! Using Evidence in Nursing Practice chapter covers the entire process of conducting research, including collecting, evaluating, and applying evidence from published research.
- F NEW! Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN)-style unfolding case studies include answers at the back of the book, providing optimal preparation for the Next Generation NCLEX Examination.
Unit 1: Supporting the Patient Through the Health Care System
1 Using Evidence in Practice
2 Admitting, Transfer, and Discharge
3 Communication and Collaboration
4 Documentation and Informatics
Unit 2: Vital Signs and Physical Assessment
5 Vital Signs
6 Health Assessment
Unit 3: Special Procedures
7 Specimen Collection
8 Diagnostic Procedures
Unit 4: Infection Control
9 Medical Asepsis
10 Sterile Technique
Unit 5: Activity and Mobility
11 Safe Patient Handling, Transfer, and Positioning
12 Exercise and Mobility
13 Support Surfaces and Special Beds
Unit 6: Safety and Comfort
14 Patient Safety
15 Disaster Preparedness
16 Pain Management
17 Palliative Care
Unit 7: Hygiene
18 Personal Hygiene and Bed Making
19 Care of the Eye and Ear
Unit 8: Medications
20 Safe Medication Preparation
21 Nonparenteral Medications
22 Parenteral Medications
Unit 9: Oxygenation
23 Oxygen Therapy
24 Performing Chest Physiotherapy
25 Airway Management
26 Cardiac Care
27 Closed Chest Drainage Systems
28 Emergency Measures for Life Support
Unit 10: Fluid Balance
29 Intravenous and Vascular Access Therapy
30 Blood Therapy
Unit 11: Nutrition
31 Oral Nutrition
32 Enteral Nutrition
33 Parenteral Nutrition
Unit 12: Elimination
34 Urinary Elimination
35 Bowel Elimination and Gastric Intubation
36 Ostomy Care
Unit 13: Care of the Surgical Patient
37 Preoperative and Postoperative Care
38 Intraoperative Care
Unit 14: Dressings and Wound Care
39 Impaired Skin Integrity Prevention and Care
40 Wound Care and Irrigations
41 Dressings, Bandages, and Binders
42 Warm and Cold Therapy
Unit 15: Home Care
43 Home Care Safety
44 Home Care Teaching
Anne Griffin Perry, RN, MSN, EdD, FAAN, Professor and Associate Dean, School of Nursing, Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, Illinois., Patricia A. Potter, RN, PhD, FAAN, Director of Research, Patient Care Services, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, Missouri, Wendy Ostendorf, RN, MS, EdD, CNE, Walden University Minneapolis,Minnesota and Nancy Laplante, PhD, RN, AHN-BC, Associate Professor of Nursing, Widener University, Chester, Pennsylvania