Mosby's Essentials for Nursing Assistants - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Master the role and responsibilities of today’s nursing assistant! Mosby's Essentials for Nursing Assistants, 7th Edition provides concise, easy-to-understand guidelines for the skills performed by nursing assistants. Step-by-step procedures are included for more than 75 key procedures, and patient scenarios help you apply your knowledge and develop critical thinking skills. A primary focus is the importance of treating residents with respect while providing safe, competent, and efficient care. And with OBRA-mandated coverage of the concepts and skills you need to master, you will prepare for success on state certification exams!
- Clear, easy-to-read style is supplemented with hundreds of full-color photographs and illustrations.
- More than 75 step-by-step procedures are divided into pre-procedure, procedure, and post-procedure sections for easier learning.
- Focus on PRIDE boxes emphasize personal and professional responsibility, rights and respect, independence and social interaction, delegation and teamwork, and ethics and laws, helping you promote dignity and pride in the person being cared for, his or her family, and yourself.
- Focus on Practice: Problem Solving present patient scenarios to enhance critical thinking skills, and allow you to apply concepts to practice.
- Promoting Safety and Comfort boxes detail measures and cautions for providing safe, effective patient care.
- Focus on Older Persons boxes provide guidance on the special needs of older persons, including those with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
- Focus on Communication boxes provide guidelines for communicating clearly with residents, visitors, and the nursing team.
- Caring About Culture boxes help in providing care that is sensitive to the beliefs and customs of diverse cultures.
- Delegation Guidelines identify the nursing assistant’s specific responsibilities in accepting commonly delegated tasks.
- Focus on Surveys feature highlights the nursing assistant’s role during state inspections.
- NATCEP (Nurse Aide Training and Competency Evaluation Program) icons shown in the title bar of procedures indicate the skills covered most often on certification exams.
- Review questions in each chapter cover what you have learned, and are useful in studying for a test or for the competency evaluation.
- Key terms and abbreviations are included at the beginning of each chapter, with a comprehensive glossary at the back of the book.
- NEW! Streamlined chapter organization includes shorter, more focused chapters.
- NEW! Enhanced art program includes updated photos and illustrations.
1. Introduction to Health Care
2. The Person’s Rights
3. The Nursing Assistant
4. Ethics and Laws
5. Student and Work Ethics
6. Communicating with the Person
7. Health Team Communications
8. (NEW) Medical Terminology
9. Body Structure and Function
10. The Older Person
11. Safety Needs
12. Preventing Falls
13. Restraint Alternatives and Restraints
14. Preventing Infection
15. (NEW) Isolation Precautions
16. Body Mechanics
17. Moving the Person
18. Transferring the Person
19. The Person’s Unit
20. (NEW) Bedmaking
21. (NEW) Oral Hygiene
22. Daily Hygiene and Bathing
24. (NEW) Dressing and Undressing
25. Urinary Needs
26. Urinary Catheters
27. Bowel Needs
29. (NEW) Meeting Nutrition Needs
30. Fluid Needs
32. Exercise and Activity Needs
33. (NEW) Comfort and Rest Needs
34. Collecting Specimens
35. Wound Care
36. Pressure Injuries
37. Oxygen Needs
38. Rehabilitation Needs
39. Hearing, Speech, and Vision Problems
40. Common Health Problems
41. Mental Health Disorders
42. Confusion and Dementia
43. Emergency Care
44. End-of-Life Care
45. Getting a Job
Review Question Answers
Appendix A The Patient Care Partnership – Understanding Expectations, Rights, and Responsibilities (A Summary)
Appendix B National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP®) Written Evaluation Content Outline and Skills Evaluation
Appendix C Minimum Data Set: Selected Pages
Leighann Remmert, MS, RN, Certified Nursing Assistant Instructor, Williamsville, Illinois and Sheila A. Sorrentino, PhD, RN, Curriculum and Health Care Consultant, Anthem, AZ