Nutritional Foundations and Clinical Applications - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 8th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Master the nurse’s role in therapeutic nutrition and in teaching dietary health! Nutritional Foundations and Clinical Applications: A Nursing Approach, 8th Edition describes nutritional healing and wellness from the nurse’s perspective. It covers dietary guidelines with a humanistic, personal touch, using first-hand accounts to show how nutrition principles apply to patients in real-world practice. This edition is updated with the most current guidelines and the latest research on nutrition. Written by noted educators Michele Grodner, Sylvia Escott-Stump, and Suzie Dorner, this leading nutrition text promotes healthy diets and shows how nutrition may be used in treating and controlling diseases and disorders.
- Applying Content Knowledge and Critical Thinking: Clinical Applications case studies help you apply nutrition principles to real-world practice situations.
- Personal Perspective box in each chapter offers a firsthand account of the ways in which nutrition affects patients’ lives, demonstrating the personal touch for which this book is known.
- Teaching Tool boxes include strategies for providing nutrition counseling to patients.
- The Nursing Approach boxes analyze a realistic nutritional case study according to the nursing process.
- Social Issue boxes show how ethical, social, and community concerns can influence health and wellness.
- Health Debate boxes address the nurse’s response to differing opinions or controversies about food, nutrition, and health concerns.
- Cultural Considerations boxes show how to understand and respect the food and health customs of specific ethnic groups.
- Key terms and a glossary make it easy to learn key vocabulary and concepts.
- NEW! Nursing Approach sections include Next Generation NCLEX® terminology as well as single-episode cases and questions, with answers on the Evolve website.
PART I: Wellness, Nutrition, and the Nursing Role 1. Wellness Nutrition 2. Personal and Community Nutrition PART II: Nutrients, Food, and Health 3. Digestion, Absorption, and Metabolism 4. Carbohydrates 5. Fats 6. Protein 7. Vitamins 8. Water and Minerals PART III: Health Promotion Through Nutrition and Nursing Practice 9. Energy, Weight and Fitness 10. Nutrition Across the Life Span PART IV: Overview of Medical Nutrition Therapy 11. Nutrition Assessment and Patient Care 12. Food-Related Issues 13. Nutrition for Disorders of the Gastrointestinal Tract 14. Nutrition for Disorders of the Liver, Gallbladder, and Pancreas 15. Nutrition for Diabetes Mellitus 16. Nutrition in Metabolic Stress: Burns, Trauma, and Surgery 17. Nutrition for Cardiopulmonary Disease 18. Nutrition for Diseases of the Kidneys 19. Nutrition for Neuro-Psychiatric Disorders 20. Nutrition in Cancer and HIV-AIDS Glossary Index
Michele Grodner, EdD, CHES, Professor
Department of Public Health
William Paterson University
Wayne, New Jersey, Sylvia Escott-Stump, MA, RD, LDN, Clinical Assistant Professor and Director
East Carolina University
Greenville, North Carolina and Suzanne Dorner, MSN, RN, CCRN, Assistant Manager
Medical Intensive Care Unit
Tampa General Hospital