Nursing Today - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 11th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Help students make a smooth transition from nursing school into the practice setting with Nursing Today, 11th Edition! With this text, your students will gain a solid understanding of the issues and trends that affect the nursing profession. Not only will they graduate with patient care skills, but they will advance their careers with insights into writing a resume, interviewing, finding a job, and obtaining specialty certifications. This edition takes a deeper look into topics such as workplace bullying, conflict management, cultural and spiritual awareness, and the new question types found on the Next Generation NCLEX® examination. Colorful and easy to read, this book prepares students for success on the NCLEX-RN® exam and in professional nursing practice.
- Thorough coverage prepares you for a professional career with an introduction to historical and present-day nursing as well as legal, ethical, political, and workplace issues.
- Learning objectives, humorous cartoons, and a pithy quote introduce the content in each chapter.
- Critical Thinking boxes ask you to apply your knowledge to the practice setting.
- Coverage of QSEN competencies addresses effective communication, team building, evidence-based practice, patient safety, and quality assurance.
- Tips for transitioning into the workplace are included in chapters such as NCLEX-RN® Exam and the New Graduate, Employment Considerations: Opportunities, Resumes, and Interviewing; and Mentorship, Preceptorship, and Nurse Residency Programs.
- Career advancement tools include time management, communication and delegation, how to write an effective resume, interviewing tips, guidelines for using social media, attaining certification in a nursing specialty, and self-care strategies.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes summarize practice Issues, implications for nursing practice, and the references for the evidence.
- Research for Best Practice boxes highlight the research evidence that supports clinical practice.
- NEW! NCLEX-RN® Exam and the New Graduate chapter outlines the Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) Project and explains the different types of NGN test items that will be on the 2023 NGN exam, and includes an NGN NCLEX exam-style case study showcasing the six cognitive skills in the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Measurement Model (NCJMN).
- NEW! Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) examination-style questions build your clinical judgment and decision-making skills.
- NEW! Impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) global pandemic is described as it relates to nursing education and practice.
- NEW! Cultural and Spiritual Awareness chapter is expanded with a focus on social determinants of health (SDOH) and strategies for building cultural and linguistic competency skills and practicing cultural sensitivity in the workplace setting.
- UPDATED! Personal Management chapter includes new information about incorporating mindfulness and building resiliency into your practice, as well as several mindfulness and resiliency exercises that you can begin practicing right now!
- UPDATED! Employment Considerations: Opportunities, Resumes, and Interviewing chapter offers additional tips for responding to questions during an in-person, phone, or virtual job interview.
- UPDATED! Conflict Management chapter adds more content about sexual harassment and strategies for resolving conflict both personally and professionally.
- UPDATED! Workplace Issues chapter is expanded to include bullying, incivility, and safe patient handling.
- UPDATED! Nursing Informatics chapter includes new information on the next generation of health care delivery with topics such as patient engagement, robotics, and artificial intelligence.
- UPDATED! Nursing Education chapter adds new information about the nursing demographic profile and the nursing shortage.
UNIT I: PROFESSIONAL GROWTH AND TRANSITION
1. Role Transitions
2. Personal Management: Time and Self-Care Strategies
3. Mentorship, Preceptorship, and Nurse Residency Programs
4. Employment Considerations:Opportunities, Resumes, and Interviewing
5. NCLEX-RN Exam® and the New Graduate
UNIT II: NURSING: A DEVELOPING PROFESSION
6. Historical Perspectives: Influences on the Present
7. Nursing Education
8. Nursing Theories
9. Professional Image of Nursing
UNIT III: NURSING MANAGEMENT
10. Challenges of Nursing Management and Leadership
11. Building Nursing Management Skills
12. Effective Communication, Team Building, and Interprofessional Practice
13. Conflict Management
14. Delegation in the Clinical Setting
UNIT IV: CURRENT ISSUES IN HEALTH CARE
15. The Health Care Organization and Patterns of Nursing Care Delivery
16. Economics of the Health Care Delivery System
17. Political Action in Nursing, 397
18. Collective Bargaining: Traditional (Union) and Nontraditional Approaches
19. Ethical Issues
20. Legal Issues
UNIT V: CONTEMPORARY NURSING PRACTICE
21. Cultural and Spiritual Awareness
22. Quality Patient Care
23. Nursing Informatics
24. Using Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research
25. Workplace Issues
26. Emergency Preparedness
JoAnn Zerwekh, EdD, RN, President/CEO,Nursing Education Consultants, Inc,Chandler, Arizona and Ashley Zerwekh Garneau, PhD, RN, Nursing Faculty ,GateWay Community College,Phoenix, Arizona