The Muscular System Manual, 5th Edition
An approachable, yet detailed atlas of the muscles of the human body, The Muscular System Manual: The Skeletal Muscles of the Human Body, 5th Edition provides both beginner and advanced students with a thorough understanding of skeletal muscles in a compartmentalized, customizable layout. The most comprehensive atlas of muscle actions available, this is the only text that lists and describes all open-chain standard mover actions and all closed-chain reverse mover actions, as well as eccentric contraction and isometric stabilization functions! All actions are fully referenced in one convenient table. Complex muscle anatomy relationships are easy to understand with robust resources on the Evolve companion website, including a unique Electronic Muscle and Bone Review Program to help students prepare for practice.
- UNIQUE! Electronic muscle and bone review program features a base photograph with a skeleton drawn in and a list of every muscle for each major region of the body so that you can choose any combination of muscles and place them onto the illustration — allowing you to see not only the muscle attachments, but also the relationship among the muscles of the region.
- Overlay art, consisting of more than 380 full-color anatomical illustrations of muscles, bones, and ligaments drawn over photographs, helps identify the positions of muscles and bones in the human body.
- Content is organized by body region and includes information on how muscles in that region function together with large drawings of the muscles of that region so that you can go directly to the topic you are studying.
- Complete muscle coverage in an easy-to-understand layout makes this text appropriate for novices to anatomy, as well as intermediate and advanced users.
- Coverage of the methodology for each muscle provides information for learning muscle actions to explain the reasoning behind each action — and encourage you to learn and not just memorize.
- Robust online resources on the companion Evolve website feature more than 100 video clips and an interactive muscle program, among other resources.
- NEW! Instructional videos on Evolve simulate the classroom experience and reinforce book content.
Part 1: The Musculoskeletal System
1. Basic Kinesiology Terminology
2. The Skeletal System
3. How Muscles Function
Part 2: The Skeletal Muscles of the Upper Extremity
4. Muscles of the Shoulder Girdle Joints
5. Muscles of the Glenohumeral Joint
6. Muscles of the Elbow and Radioulnar Joints
7. Muscles of the Wrist Joint
8. Extrinsic Muscles of the Finger Joints
9. Intrinsic Muscles of the Finger Joints
Part 3: The Skeletal Muscles of the Axial Body
10. Muscles of the Spinal Joints
11. Muscles of the Rib Cage Joints
12. Muscles of the Temporomandibular Joints
13. Muscles of Facial Expression
Part 4: The Skeletal Muscles of the Lower Extremity
14. Muscles of the Hip Joint
15. Muscles of the Knee Joint
16. Muscles of the Ankle and Subtalar Joints
17. Extrinsic Muscles of the Toe Joints
18. Intrinsic Muscles of the Toe Joints
Part 5: Functional Mover Groups of Muscles
19. Functional Groups of Muscles
Joseph E. Muscolino, DC, Instructor, Purchase College, State University of New York, Purchase, New York; Owner, The Art and Science of Kinesiology, Redding, Connecticut