Occupational Therapy with Older Adults - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Gain the focused foundation needed to successfully work with older adults. Occupational Therapy with Older Adults: Strategies for the OTA, 5th Edition is the only comprehensive book on occupational therapy with older adults designed specifically for the occupational therapy assistant. It provides in-depth coverage of each aspect of geriatric practice — from wellness and prevention to managing chronic conditions. Expert authors Helene Lohman, Amy Shaffer, and Patricia Watford offer an unmatched discussion of diverse populations and the latest on geriatric policies and procedures in this fast-growing area of practice.
- UNIQUE! Focused coverage emphasizes the importance of the role of an OTA in providing care for older adults.
- UNIQUE! Coverage of diverse populations, including cultural and gender diversity, prepares OTAs to work with older adults using cultural sensitivity.
- UNIQUE! Critical topic discussions examine concepts such as telehealth, wellness, and health literacy.
- Interdisciplinary approach highlights the importance of collaboration between the OT and the OTA, specifically demonstrating how an OTA should work with an OT in caring for older adults.
- Case studies at the end of chapters help to prepare for situations encountered in practice.
- NEW! An ebook version is included with print purchase and allows access to all the text, figures, and references, with the ability to search, customize content, make notes and highlights, and have content read aloud.
- NEW! Evidence Nuggets sections highlight the latest research to inform practice.
- NEW! Tech Talk feature in many chapters examines the latest technology resources.
- Revised content throughout provides the most current information needed to be an effective practitioner.
- Updated references ensure the content is current and applicable for today’s practice.
SECTION ONE CONCEPTS OF AGING
1 AGING TRENDS AND CONCEPTS
2 BIOLOGICAL AND SOCIAL THEORIES OF AGING
3 THE AGING PROCESS
4 PSYCHOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF AGING
5 AGING WELL: HEALTH PROMOTION AND HEALTH MANAGEMENT
6 THE REGULATION OF PUBLIC POLICY FOR OLDER ADULTS
SECTION TWO OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY INTERVENTION WITH OTHER ADULTS
7 OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY MODELS OF PRACTICE
8 OPPORTUNITIES FOR BEST PRACTICE IN VARIOUS SETTINGS
9 CULTURAL DIVERSITY OF THE AGING POPULATION
10 ETHICAL ASPECTS IN THE WORK WITH OLDER ADULTS
11 WORKING WITH FAMILIES AND CAREGIVERS OF OLDER ADULTS
12 ADDRESSING SEXUAL ACTIVITY OF OLDER ADULTS
13 USE OF MEDICATIONS BY OLDER ADULTS
14 CONSIDERATIONS OF MOBILITY
PART 1 RESTRAINT REDUCTION
PART 2 WHEELCHAIR SEATING AND POSITIONING: CONSIDERATIONS FOR OLDER ADULTS
PART 3 FALL PREVENTION
PART 4 COMMUNITY MOBILITY
15 WORKING WITH OLDER ADULTS WHO HAVE VISION IMPAIRMENTS
16 WORKING WITH OLDER ADULTS WHO HAVE HEARING IMPAIRMENTS
17 STRATEGIES TO MAINTAIN CONTINENCE IN OLDER ADULTS
18 WORKING WITH OLDER ADULTS WHO HAVE DYSPHAGIA AND ORAL MOTOR DEFICITS
19 WORKING WITH OLDER ADULTS WHO HAVE HAD CEREBROVASCULAR ACCIDENTS
20 WORKING WITH OLDER ADULTS WHO HAVE DEMENTIA AND ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE
21 WORKING WITH OLDER ADULTS WHO HAVE ORTHOPEDIC CONDITIONS
22 WORKING WITH OLDER ADULTS WHO HAVE CARDIOVASCULAR CONDITIONS
23 WORKING WITH OLDER ADULTS WHO HAVE PULMONARY CONDITIONS
24 WORKING WITH OLDER ADULTS WHO HAVE ONCOLOGICAL CONDITIONS
Helene Lohman, OTD, OTR/L, FAOTA, Professor, Department of Occupational Therapy, Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska., Amy L. Shaffer, Ed. D, COTA/L, CPAM and Patricia J. Watford, OTD, MS, OTR/L