Professional Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 10th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Help students understand what it means to be a professional nurse — the history, values and standards, and commitment to lifelong learning. Professional Nursing: Concepts & Challenges, 10th Edition equips students with the latest professional nursing practices to positively impact their careers. This easy-to-read text provides insight into the current state of the profession and thoroughly examines standards and scope of practice, with new information on interprofessional education and practice, nursing roles, Covid-19, the surge of ambulatory and community care, bullying, gender issues, clinical judgment, and more.
- Cognitive rehearsal prepares you for the unlikely threat of lateral violence.
- Social justice in nursing helps you learn to advocate for patients who need your help.
- Interview narratives explore the issues like culture and faith from the perspectives of leaders in those fields.
- Historical Notes highlight little-known stories of heroisms in the nursing profession.
- Tips on documentation include both electronic and paper records.
- Concepts and Challenges and Ideas for Further Exploration at the end of the chapters help with review and test prep.
- Discussions on the implications of social media on nursing, including ethics and boundaries.
- Considering Culture boxes highlight the impact of culture on a nurse's role and responsibilities and the patient's healthcare experience.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes identify leading findings in nursing topics and trends.
- Case Study boxes feature scenarios involving relevant issues in patient care.
- Nurses Doing Research boxes highlight problems identified in patient care and the ongoing efforts to find patient interventions.
- Professional Profiles boxes provide prospective from nurses in the field.
- Thinking Critically boxes encourage higher-level consideration of potential factors affecting nurses.
- Learning outcomes are presented at the beginning of each chapter.
- Key terms are bolded where defined in the text.
- NEW! Updated content includes the latest information on interprofessional education and practice, nursing roles, COVID-19, the surge in ambulatory and community care, bullying, gender issues, the faculty shortage, and challenges faced by new graduates.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of clinical judgment helps you develop the critical thinking and clinical decision-making skills required for the Next Generation NCLEX® and in nursing practice.
1.Nursing in Today's Evolving Health Care Environment 2.The History and Social Context of Nursing 3.Nursing's Pathway to Professionalism 4.Nursing Education in an Evolving Health Care Environment 5.Becoming a Professional Nurse: Defining Nursing and Socialization into Practice 6.Nursing as a Regulated Practice: Legal Issues 7.Ethics: Basic Concepts for Professional Nursing Practice 8.Conceptual and Philosophical Foundations of Professional Nursing Practice 9.Nursing Theory: The Basis for Professional Nursing 10.The Science of Nursing and Evidence-Based Practice 11.Developing Nursing Judgment Through Critical Thinking 12.Communication and Collaboration in Professional Nursing 13.Nurses, Patients, and Families: Caring at the Intersection of Health, Illness, and Culture 14.Health Care in the United States 15.Political Activism in Nursing: Communities, Organizations, Government 16.Nursing Challenge: To Continue to Evolve
Beth Black, PhD, RN, FAAN, Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill School of Nursing, Chapel Hill, North Carolina