Professional Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 10th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Help students understand what it means to be a professional nurse — the history, values and standards, and commitment to lifelong learning. Professional Nursing: Concepts & Challenges, 10th Edition equips students with the latest professional nursing practices to positively impact their careers. This easy-to-read text provides insight into the current state of the profession and thoroughly examines standards and scope of practice, with new information on interprofessional education and practice, nursing roles, Covid-19, the surge of ambulatory and community care, bullying, gender issues, clinical judgment, and more.
- Cognitive rehearsal prepares you for the unlikely threat of lateral violence.
- Social justice in nursing helps you learn to advocate for patients who need your help.
- Interview narratives explore the issues like culture and faith from the perspectives of leaders in those fields.
- Historical Notes highlight little-known stories of heroisms in the nursing profession.
- Tips on documentation include both electronic and paper records.
- Concepts and Challenges and Ideas for Further Exploration at the end of the chapters help with review and test prep.
- Discussions on the implications of social media on nursing, including ethics and boundaries.
- Considering Culture boxes highlight the impact of culture on a nurse's role and responsibilities and the patient's healthcare experience.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes identify leading findings in nursing topics and trends.
- Case Study boxes feature scenarios involving relevant issues in patient care.
- Nurses Doing Research boxes highlight problems identified in patient care and the ongoing efforts to find patient interventions.
- Professional Profiles boxes provide prospective from nurses in the field.
- Thinking Critically boxes encourage higher-level consideration of potential factors affecting nurses.
- Learning outcomes are presented at the beginning of each chapter.
- Key terms are bolded where defined in the text.
- NEW! Updated content includes the latest information on interprofessional education and practice, nursing roles, COVID-19, the surge in ambulatory and community care, bullying, gender issues, the faculty shortage, and challenges faced by new graduates.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of clinical judgment helps you develop the critical thinking and clinical decision-making skills required for the Next Generation NCLEX® and in nursing practice.
1 Nursing in Today’s Evolving Healthcare Environment
2 The History and Social Context of Nursing
3 Nursing’s Pathway to Professionalism
4 Nursing Education in an Evolving Healthcare Environment
5 Becoming a Professional Nurse: Defining Nursing and Socialization in Practice
6 Nursing as a Regulated Practice: Legal Issues
7 Ethics: Basic Concepts for Professional Nursing Practice
8 Conceptual and Philosophic Foundations of Professional Nursing Practice
9 Nursing Theory: The Basis for Professional Nursing
10 The Science of Nursing and Evidence-Based Practice
11 Developing Nursing Judgment Through Critical Thinking
12 Communication and Collaboration in Professional Nursing
13 Nurses, Patients, and Families: Caring at the Intersection of Health, Illness, and Culture
14 Health Care in the United States
15 Political Activism in Nursing: Communities, Organizations, and Government
16 Nursing’s Challenge: To Continue to Evolve
Beth Black, PhD, RN, FAAN, Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill School of Nursing, Chapel Hill, North Carolina