Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN® Examination - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 9th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Prepare for success on the NCLEX-RN® exam with this complete review! Often called the best NCLEX® exam review book ever, Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN® Examination reviews all nursing content areas related to the current test plan. This new edition includes 5,700 NCLEX exam-style questions in the book and online, including alternate items formats and Next Generation NCLEX questions. Don't make the mistake of assuming the quality of the questions is the same in all NCLEX exam review books; only this book includes the kinds of questions that consistently test the clinical judgment skills necessary to pass today's NCLEX exam. Even better, all answers include detailed rationales to help you learn from your answer choices as well as test-taking strategies with tips on how to best approach each question. Written by the most trusted names in NCLEX review, Linda Anne Silvestri and Angela Elizabeth Silvestri, this is THE book of choice for NCLEX preparation. But don’t just take our word for it — read any customer review or ask your classmates to see why there's nothing else like it!
- More than 5,700 practice questions in the text and on the Evolve website offer ample testing practice.
- UNIQUE! Detailed test-taking strategy is included for each question, offering clues for analyzing and uncovering the correct answer option, with rationales provided for both correct and incorrect answers.
- UNIQUE! Pyramid Points icons indicate important information, identifying content that is likely to appear on the NCLEX-RN® examination.
- UNIQUE! Pyramid Alerts appear in red text and highlight important nursing concepts, and identify content that typically appears on the NCLEX-RN examination.
- UNIQUE! Priority Concepts — two in each chapter — discuss important content and nursing interventions, and reflect the latest edition of Giddens’ Concepts for Nursing Practice text.
- UNIQUE! Priority Nursing Action boxes provide information about the steps you will take in clinical situations requiring clinical judgment and prioritization.
- UNIQUE! Audio review summaries on Evolve cover pharmacology, acid-base balance, and fluids and electrolytes.
- New graduate’s perspective is offered on how to prepare for the NCLEX-RN, in addition to nonacademic preparation, the CAT format, and test-taking strategies.
- Mnemonics are included to help you remember important information.
- Alternate item format questions cover multiple response, prioritizing [ordered response], fill-in-the-blank, figure/illustration [hot spot], chart/exhibit, video, and audio questions.
- 75-question comprehensive exam in the book covers all content areas in the book in the same percentages that they are covered on the actual NCLEX-RN test plan.
- Practice questions on Evolve are organized by content area, cognitive level, client needs area, integrated process, health problem, clinical judgment, and priority concepts, allowing completely customizable exams or study sessions.
- NEW! Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) examination-style questions prepare you for the biggest change to the NCLEX-RN® test plan to date.
- NEW! Thoroughly updated content incorporates clinical updates and reflects the latest NCLEX-RN test plan.
- NEW! Clinical Judgment boxes identify clinical judgment situations, each addressing one of the six cognitive skills of the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Measurement Model.
- NEW! Additional questions cover health problem areas and complex care.
- NEW! Urinary and Bowel Elimination and Hygiene, Mobility, and Skin Integrity chapters are added to this edition.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Unit I: NCLEX-RN® Exam Preparation
1 The Next-Generation NCLEX-RN® Examination
2 Pathways to Success
3 The NCLEX-RN® Examination: From a Student’s Perspective
4 Test-Taking Strategies
Unit II: Issues in Nursing
5 Cultural Diversity
6 Ethical and Legal Issues
7 Leadership, Delegating, and Prioritizing Client Care
Unit III: Nursing Sciences
8 Fluids and Electrolytes
9 Acid-Base Balance
10 Vital Signs and Laboratory Values
12 Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN)
13 Intravenous Therapy
14 Administration of Blood Products
Unit IV: Fundamental Skills
15 Health and Physical Assessment of the Adult Client
16 Provision of a Safe Environment
17 Calculation of Medication and Intravenous Prescriptions
18 Perioperative Nursing Care
19 Positioning Clients
20 Care of a Client with a Tube
Unit V: Growth and Development Across the Life Span
21 Theories of Growth and Development
22 Developmental Stages
23 Care of the Older Client
Unit VI: Maternity Nursing
24 Reproductive System
25 Prenatal Period
26 Risk Conditions Related to Pregnancy
27 Labor and Birth
28 Problems with Labor and Birth
29 The Postpartum Period
30 Postpartum Complications
31 Care of the Newborn
32 Maternity and Newborn Medications
Unit VII: Pediatric Nursing
33 Neurological, Cognitive, and Psychosocial Disorders
34 Eye, Ear, and Throat Disorders
35 Respiratory Disorders
36 Cardiovascular Disorders
37 Gastrointestinal Disorders
38 Metabolic and Endocrine Disorders
39 Renal and Urinary Disorders
40 Integumentary Disorders
41 Musculoskeletal Disorders
42 Hematological Disorders
43 Oncological Disorders
44 Infectious and Communicable Diseases
45 Pediatric Medication Administration and Calculations
Unit VIII: The Adult Client with an Integumentary Disorder
46 Integumentary System
47 Integumentary Medications
Unit IX: The Adult Client with an Oncological Disorder
48 Oncological Disorders
49 Antineoplastic Medications
Unit X: The Adult Client with an Endocrine Disorder
50 Endocrine System
51 Endocrine Medications
Unit XI: The Adult Client with a Gastrointestinal Disorder
52 Gastrointestinal System
53 Gastrointestinal Medications
Unit XII: The Adult Client with a Respiratory Disorder
54 Respiratory System
55 Respiratory Medications
Unit XIII: The Adult Client with a Cardiovascular Disorder
56 Cardiovascular Disorders
57 Cardiovascular Medications
Unit XIV : The Adult Client with a Renal System Disorder
58 Renal System
59 Renal Medications
Unit XV: The Adult Client with an Eye or Ear Disorder
60 The Eye and the Ear
61 Ophthalmic and Otic Medications
Unit XVI: The Adult Client with a Neurological Disorder
62 Neurological System
63 Neurological Medications
Unit XVII: The Adult Client with a Musculoskeletal Disorder
64 Musculoskeletal System
65 Musculoskeletal Medications
Unit XVIII: The Adult Client with an Immune Disorder
66 Immune Disorders
67 Immunologic Medications
Unit XIX: The Adult Client with a Mental Health Disorder
68 Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
69 Mental Health Disorders
71 Crisis Theory and Intervention
72 Psychiatric Medications
Linda Anne Silvestri, PhD, RN, FAAN, Nursing Instructor, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, School of Nursing, Las Vegas, Nevada; President and Owner, Nursing Reviews, Inc., Henderson, Nevada; Director and Owner, Professional Nursing Seminars, Inc., Henderson, Nevada; Elsevier, Author of NCLEX Review Resources, Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) Subject Matter Expert and Consultant and Angela Elizabeth Silvestri, PhD, APRN, FNP-BC, CNE, Associate Professor & BSN Program Director, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, School of Nursing, Las Vegas, Nevada.