Clinical Laboratory Science Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 9th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Using a discipline-by-discipline approach, Turgeon’s Clinical Laboratory Science: Concepts, Procedures, and Clinical Applications, 9th Edition, provides a fundamental overview of the concepts, procedures, and clinical applications essential for working in a clinical laboratory and performing routine clinical lab tests. Coverage includes basic laboratory techniques and key topics such as safety, phlebotomy, quality assessment, automation, and point-of-care testing, as well as discussion of clinical laboratory specialties. Clear, straightforward instructions simplify laboratory procedures and are guided by the latest practices and CLSI (Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute) standards. Written by well-known CLS educator Mary Louise Turgeon, this edition offers essential guidance and recommendations for today’s laboratory testing methods and clinical applications.
- Broad scope of coverage makes this text an ideal companion for clinical laboratory science programs at various levels, including CLS/MT, CLT/MLT, medical laboratory assistant, and medical assisting, and reflects the taxonomy levels of the CLS/MT and CLT/MLT exams.
- Detailed procedure guides and procedure worksheets on Evolve and in the ebook familiarize you with the exact steps performed in the lab.
- Vivid, full-color illustrations depict concepts and applicable images that can be seen under the microscope.
- An extensive number of certification-style, multiple-choice review questions are organized and coordinated under major topical headings at the end of each chapter to help you assess your understanding and identify areas requiring additional study.
- Case studies include critical thinking group discussion questions, providing the opportunity to apply content to real-life scenarios.
- The newest Entry Level Curriculum Updates for workforce entry, published by the American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science (ASCLS) and the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification Exam Content Outlines, serve as content reference sources.
- Convenient glossary makes it easy to look up definitions without having to search through each chapter.
- An Evolve companion website provides convenient access to animations, flash card sets, and additional review questions.
- Experienced author, speaker, and educator Mary L. Turgeon is well known for providing insight into the rapidly changing field of clinical laboratory science.
- NEW! Content spans traditional principles and practices to the expanding applications of molecular diagnostics that reflect the most current clinical laboratory practices and technology.
- NEW! New Frontiers in Molecular Diagnostics chapter explores the future of the field.
- NEW! Coverage of the "new face" of clinical laboratory practice recognizes of the important need for laboratories for SARS-CoV-2 testing during the COVID-19 pandemic, with an increased emphasis on safety, patient considerations, and delivery of testing modes.
- NEW! Exploration of current laboratory safety issues, strategies, and the need for various safety-related officers to control problems such as supply chain interruptions and the risk of infection from aerosols.
- NEW! Applications of innovative quality models, such as clinical outcomes and biological variation, improve the acceptable standards of laboratory testing and the interpretations of reference ranges.
- NEW! Expanded information on new oral anticoagulants is presented along with the appropriate laboratory testing, with alternative testing added to the discussion of blood coagulation.
- NEW! Increased focus on cell types in cerebrospinal fluid includes descriptions of associated clinical disorders and microbial examination.
- NEW! Expanded comparisons of the characteristics of important body fluids, such as synovial fluid, serous fluids, seminal fluid, and amniotic fluid.
- NEW! Appendix offers comprehensive overview of COVID-19.
PART I: Basic Laboratory Techniques 1. Fundamentals of the Clinical Laboratory 2. Safety: Patient and Clinical Laboratory Practices 3. Quality Assessment and Quality Control in the Clinical Laboratory 4. Phlebotomy: Collecting and Processing Patient Blood Specimens 5. The Microscope 6. Systems of Measurement, Laboratory Equipment, and Reagents 7. Laboratory Mathematics and Solution Preparation 8. Basic and Contemporary Techniques in the Clinical Laboratory 9. Delivery of Laboratory Testing: From Point of Care Testing to Total Automation PART II: Clinical Laboratory Specializations 10. Introduction to Clinical Chemistry 11. Principles and Practice of Clinical Hematology 12. Hemostasis and Blood Coagulation 13. Renal Physiology and Urinalysis 14. Examination of Body Fluids and Miscellaneous Specimens 15. Introduction to Microbiology 16. Immunology and Serology 17. Immunohematology and Transfusion Medicine Appendix A, Answers to Review Questions and Multiple-Choice Questions in Case Studies Appendix B, Disease/Organ Panels Glossary
Mary Louise Turgeon, EdD, MLS(ASCP)CM, Associate Professor (Adjunct), University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas; Clinical Laboratory Education Consultant, Mary L. Turgeon and Associates, Boston, Massachusetts; St. Petersburg, Florida