Calculation of Drug Dosages - Binder Ready, 11th Edition
Covering the ratio and proportion, formula, and dimensional analysis methods of drug calculation, Calculation of Drug Dosages, 11th Edition is designed to help you master these methods. A basic review of mathematics serves to refresh your skills if you are weak or inexperienced in math, and plenty of practice problems help you become competent in making drug calculations. Known for its worktext format, this text offers multiple worksheets pre-and post-tests and a comprehensive post-test - making it ideal to be used in the classroom or for individual study. Streamlined and updated to reflect current practice, this resource helps you learn to calculate drug dosages accurately and with confidence.
- UPDATED! Safety in Medication Administration chapter reflects current standards.
- UPDATED! Pediatric and Obstetric chapters revised by expert contributors.
- UPDATED! The Intake and Output section includes additional questions to reinforce your understanding.
- UPDATED! Medications changed to generic names to reflect what you will encounter on the NCLEX®.
- UPDATED! Physician orders sheet and medication administration records (MAR's) reflect the look of electronic records currently used in practice.
- An extensive math review covers the basic math skills essential for accurate calculation of drug dosages.
- Chapter worksheets allow you to practice solving realistic problems.
- Post-tests at the end of each chapter let you assess your understanding of content.
- An Alert box highlights information crucial to math calculation and patient safety.
- A comprehensive post-test at the end of the book offers additional practice and accurately gauges your overall understanding.
- A logical structure is organized from simple to complex, helping you to absorb and retain knowledge.
- UPDATED! Medication labels have been updated.
Part I: Review of Mathematics Review of Mathematics Pretest 1. Fractions 2. Decimals 3. Percents 4. Ratios 5. Proportions Review of Mathematics Post-test
Part II: Units and Measurements for the Calculation of Drug Dosages 6. Metric and Household Measurements 7. Calculations Used in Patient Assessments
Part III: Preparation for Calculation of Drug Dosages 8.Safety in Medication Administration 9. Interpretation of the Physician's Orders 10. Reading Medication Labels
Part IV: Calculation of Drug Dosages 11. Oral Dosages 12. Parenteral Dosages 13. Dosages Measured in Units 14. Reconstitution of Medications 15. Intravenous Flow Rates 16. Intravenous Flow Rates for Dosages Measured in Units 17. Critical Care Intravenous Flow Rates 18. Pediatric Dosages 19. Obstetric Dosages
Comprehensive Posttest Glossary Appendix A – Apothecary Systems of Measure Index
Sheila J. Ogden, MSN, RN, Formerly Director, Orthopaedic Service Line Clarian Health Partners Indianapolis, Indiana and Linda Fluharty, RNC, MSN, ssociate Professor
School of Health Sciences
Ivy Tech Community College