Nursing Research - Binder Ready, 9th Edition
Learn to better understand and apply research to everyday practice with Nursing Research: Methods and Critical Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice, 9th Edition. Written by an all-star team of educators and research experts, this four-time recipient of the American Journal of Nursing’s Book of the Year award is the perfect resource to help ground you in the processes behind nursing research and evidence-based practice. This new ninth edition has been thoroughly updated and refocused to better match the needs of the nurse who will read and apply research rather than conduct research. This new edition also features: new research examples and vignettes; easy-to-use navigation tools; enhanced readability; expanded information on interprofessional collaboration and evidence-based practice; and well-balanced coverage of both qualitative and quantitative research methods. It’s a must-have resource for both undergraduate and graduate nursing programs alike!
- Balanced but distinct coverage of both the qualitative and quantitative approaches to nursing research acquaints you with the processes behind research and evidence-based practice.
- Complete, high-quality research examples, including three sample critiques, demonstrate how to apply the principles outlined in the text to published quantitative and qualitative research studies.
- Research Vignettes introduce you to real-world practitioners of nursing research and help bridge the gaps among clinical research, academia, and clinical practice.
- All-star group of contributors represents a widely respected team of experts in nursing research and evidence-based practice.
- Effective learning aids in every chapter include Key Terms, Learning Outcomes, Helpful Hints, Evidence-Based Practice Tips, Appraising the Evidence, Critiquing Criteria, Critique of a Research Study, Critical Thinking Decision Paths, Critical Thinking Challenges, and Key Points.
- NEW! Revised, refocused, and streamlined content throughout to better address the needs of consumers of research for evidence-based clinical practice.
- NEW! All-new research examples and Research Vignettes have been added throughout to demonstrate the most current high-quality published studies, and to exemplify the work on prominent nurse-researchers.
- NEW! Content on mixed-methods research along with secondary analysis has been added to the chapter on nonexperimental designs.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of systematic reviews and clinical practice guidelines addresses these important aspects of research.
- UNIQUE! Integration of interprofessional education concepts and activities addresses the growing interest in interprofessional education and interprofessional collaborative practice.
- NEW! Enhanced readability and navigation tools make it easier for you to locate, understand, and retain information in the text.
- NEW! Revamped coverage of theory content and strategies for developing an evidence-based practice feature consolidated chapters that are more visual and less text-heavy.
PART I. OVERVIEW OF RESEARCH AND EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE Research Vignette 1. Integrating Research, Evidence-Based Practice, and Quality Improvement Processes 2. Research Questions, Hypotheses, and Clinical Questions 3. Gathering and Appraising the Literature 4. Theoretical Frameworks for Research
PART II. PROCESSES AND EVIDENCE RELATED TO QUALITATIVE RESEARCH Research Vignette 5. Introduction to Qualitative Research 6. Qualitative Approaches to Research 7. Appraising Qualitative Research
PART III. PROCESSES AND EVIDENCE RELATED TO QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH Research Vignette 8. Introduction to Quantitative Research 9. Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs 10. Nonexperimental Designs 11. Systematic Reviews and Clinical Practice Guidelines 12. Sampling 13. Legal and Ethical Issues 14. Data Collection Methods 15. Reliability and Validity 16. Data Analysis: Descriptive and Inferential Statistics 17. Understanding Research Findings 18. Appraising Quantitative Research
PART IV. APPLICATION OF RESEARCH: EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE Research Vignette 19. Strategies and Tools for Developing an Evidence-Based Practice 20. Developing an Evidence-Based Practice 21. Quality Improvement
Geri LoBiondo-Wood, PhD, RN, FAAN, Professor, Director of PhD Nursing Program, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, School of Nursing, Nursing Systems and Technology, Houston, Texas and Judith Haber, PhD, RN, FAAN, The Ursula Springer Leadership Professor in Nursing, Rory Meyers College of Nursing, New York University, New York, New York