Kaplan’s Essentials of Cardiac Anesthesia - Elsevier E-Book on VitalSource, 2nd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Practical, user-friendly, and to the point, the newly updated Kaplan’s Essentials of Cardiac Anesthesia, 2nd edition focuses on the most common topics and clinically applicable information in cardiac anesthesia today. Designed for residents, nurses, and clinicians seeking quick, high-yield answers rather than the encyclopedic information commonly found in larger references—in fact, its concise format makes it easy to complete a section in a single sitting. For an initial introduction to cardiac anesthesia, nothing compares to Kaplan’s Essentials!
- Trusted authorities deliver the key cardiac anesthesia knowledge you need to know.
- A concise, user-friendly format and key points boxes in each chapter help you quickly locate crucial information.
- Annotated references guide you to the most practical additional resources.
A portable size and clinical emphasis facilitates and enhances bedside patient care.
- Designed as a companion to Kaplan’s Cardiac Anesthesia.
- Includes new topics vital to the current practice of cardiac anesthesiologists, such as transesophageal echocardiography; percutaneous valve procedures; new pacemakers and automatic internal defibrillators used for cardiac resynchronization therapy; left ventricular assist devices and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation therapy of heart failure; and patient safety issues.
- Focuses on today’s most current and relevant therapies, including New Cardiac Drugs, and Heart Mate, Heart Ware, and Impella LVADs.
- Describes care of the cardiac patient in Hybrid Operating Rooms, Catheterization Laboratories, and Electrophysiology Laboratories, as well as the Cardiac Operating Rooms.
- Perfectly suited for residents, fellows, nurse anesthetists and anesthesiologists in practice.
Section I Preoperative Evaluation
Chapter 1 Assessment of Cardiac Risk and the Cardiology Consultation: Examining, Imaging, Optimizing, and Recommending, Jiri Horak and Lee A. Fleisher
Chapter 2 The Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Procedures in the Adult Patient, Mark Kozak, Bryan Robertson, and Charles E. Chambers
Section II Cardiovascular Physiology, Pharmacology, and Molecular Biology
Chapter 3 Cardiac Physiology, Brian Johnson, Maher Adi, Michael G. Licina, Zak Hillel, Daniel Thys, and Joel A. Kaplan
Chapter 4 Coronary Physiology and Atherosclerosis, Edward R. M. O’Brien and Howard J. Nathan
Chapter 5 Molecular Cardiovascular Medicine, Marcel E. Durieux and J. Paul Mounsey
Chapter 6 Systemic Inflammation, Elliott Bennett-Guerrero
Chapter 7 Pharmacology of Anesthetic Drugs, Kelly Grogan, Daniel Nyhan, and Dan E. Berkowitz
Chapter 8 Cardiovascular Pharmacology, Roger L. Royster, John F. Butterworth, IV, Leanne Groban, Thomas F. Slaughter, and David A. Zvara
Section III Monitoring
Chapter 9 Monitoring of the Heart and Vascular System, David L. Reich, Alexander J. Mittnacht, Martin J. London, and Joel A. Kaplan
Chapter 10 Intraoperative Echocardiology, Ronald A. Kahn, Stanton K. Shernan, and Steven J. Konstadt
Chapter 11 Central Nervous System Monitoring, Harvey L. Edmonds, Jr.
Chapter 12 Coagulation Monitoring, Linda Shore-Lesserson
Section IV Anesthesia Techniques for Cardiac Surgical Procedures
Chapter 13 Anesthesia for Myocardial Revascularization, Martin J. London, Alexander Mittnacht, and Joel A. Kaplan
Chapter 14 Valvular Heart Disease: Replacement and Repair, David J. Cook, Philippe R. Housmans, and Kent H. Rehfeldt
Chapter 15 Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, Marianne Coutu and Lishan Aklog
Chapter 16 Congenital Heart Disease in Adults, Victor C. Baum
Chapter 17 Thoracic Aortic, Enrique J. Pantin and Albert T. Cheung
Chapter 18 Uncommon Cardiac Diseases, William C. Oliver, Jr., and Gregory A. Nuttall
Chapter 19 Cardiac Pacing and Electroversion, Marc A. Rozner and Mark Trankina
Chapter 20 Anesthesia for Heart and Lung Transplantation, Joseph J. Quinlan, Andrew W. Murray, and Alfonso Casta
Chapter 21 New Approaches to the Surgical Treatment of End-Stage Heart Failure, Marc E. Stone and Gregory W. Fischer
Section V Extracorporeal Circulation
Chapter 22 Cardiopulmonary Bypass and the Anesthesiologist, Christina Mora Mangano, Bradley J. Hindman, John L. Chow, and Max Kanevsky
Chapter 23 Organ Protection During Cardiopulmonary Bypass, Hilary P. Grocott and Mark Stafford-Smith
Chapter 24 Transfusion Medicine and Coagulation Disorders, Bruce D. Spiess, Jan Horrow, and Joel A. Kaplan
Chapter 25 Discontinuing Cardiopulmonary Bypass, Jack S. Shanewise, Roberta Hines, and Joel A. Kaplan
Section VI Postoperative Care
Chapter 26 Postoperative Cardiac Recovery and Outcomes, Davy C. H. Cheng and Daniel Bainbridge
Chapter 27 Postoperative Cardiovascular Management, Jerrold H. Levy, Kenichi Tanaka, James M. Bailey, and James G. Ramsay
Chapter 28 Postoperative Respiratory Care, Thomas L. Higgins and Jean-Pierre Yared
Chapter 29 Central Nervous System Dysfunction after Cardiopulmonary Bypass, Ivan Iglesias and John M. Murkin
Chapter 30 Long-term Complications and Management, Dean T. Giacobbe and Michael J. Murray
Chapter 31 Pain Management for the Postoperative Cardiac Patient, Mark A. Chaney
Joel A. Kaplan, MD, Dean, School of Medicine; Vice President for Health Affairs; Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY