Introduction to Radiologic and Imaging Sciences and Patient Care - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 8th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Using a clear and concise format, Introduction to Radiologic and Imaging Sciences and Patient Care, 8th Edition familiarizes you with the imaging sciences and covers the patient care skills necessary for clinical practice. It offers current, comprehensive content that meets the relevant standards set by the American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT) Curriculum Guide and the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) Task List for certification examinations. This edition includes updates on current digital imaging and instrumentation, providing the essential information and tools you need to master any introduction to radiologic sciences or patient care class. Chapter review questions and lab activities, available online and on tear sheets in the text, give you easy access to study materials for on-the-go learning. In addition to helping you prepare for certification, the content provides useful and practical information that is essential for professional practice and clinical competency.
- Expanded and updated career content addresses professional development and advancement.
- Patient care content includes information on biomechanics and ergonomics of the radiologic and imaging sciences professional.
- Information management coverage provides an overview of health informatics for the radiologic and imaging sciences professional.
- Step-by-step procedures presented in boxed lists throughout the text supply you with easy-to-follow steps for clinical success.
- Back-of-book review questions and questions to ponder provide opportunities for further review and greater challenge.
- More than 300 photos and line drawings help you understand and visualize patient-care procedures.
- Strong pedagogy, including chapter objectives, key terms, outlines, and summaries organize information and ensure you understand what is most important in every chapter.
- NEW! Comprehensive coverage encompasses the greater breadth and depth of all primary modalities of the radiologic and imaging sciences as they relate to patient care.
PART I The Profession of Radiologic and Imaging Sciences
1 Introduction to Radiologic and Imaging Sciences
2 Professional Organizations, Development,and Advancement
3 Educational Survival Skills
4 Critical-Thinking and Problem-Solving Strategies
PART II Introduction to the Clinical Environment
5 Introduction to Clinical Education
6 Radiology Administration
7 Radiographic Imaging
8 Medical Imaging Equipment
9 Basic Radiation Protection and Radiobiology
10 Human Diversity
PART III Patient Care
11 Patient Interactions
12 History Taking
13 Biomechanics and Ergonomics
14 Immobilization Techniques
15 Vital Signs, Oxygen, Chest Tubes, and Lines
16 Basic Cardiac Monitoring: The Electrocardiogram
17 Infection Control
18 Aseptic Techniques
19 Nonaseptic Techniques
20 Medical Emergencies
22 Principles of Drug Administration
23 Contrast Media and Introduction to Radiopharmaceuticals
PART IV Ethical and Legal Issues
24 Professional Ethics for Medical Imaging Personnel
25 Health Informatics and Information Management
26 Medical Law
Appendix A: The ASRT Practice Standards for Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy
Appendix B: Professional Organizations
Appendix C: Code of Ethics
Appendix D: Code of Ethics for the Profession of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Appendix E: Commonly Used Drugs by Brand and Generic Names
Arlene M. Adler, MEd, R.T.(R), FAEIRS, Professor and Director, Radiologic Sciences Programs, Indiana University Northwest, Gary, Indiana, Richard R. Carlton, MS, R.T.(R)(CV), FAEIRS, Director, Radiologic Sciences, Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids, Michigan and Kori L. Stewart, Ph.D., R.T.(R)(CT)(ARRT), CIIP, Associate Professor of Diagnostic Imaging
School of Health Sciences
North Haven, Connecticut