Study Guide and Procedure Checklist Manual for Kinn's The Medical Assistant, 15th Edition
Designed to support the trusted content in Kinn’s The Medical Assistant, 15th Edition, this study guide is an essential review and practice companion to reinforce key concepts, encourage critical thinking, and help students apply medical assisting content. This robust companion guide offers a wide range of activities to reinforce students’ understanding of common administrative and clinical skills — including certification preparation questions, a review of medical terminology and anatomy, and application exercises. Trusted for more than 65 years as a key part of the student journey from classroom to career, it also features competency checklists and clearly defined rubrics to accurately measure your students’ performance from day one through graduation.
- Comprehensive coverage of all administrative and clinical procedures complies with accreditation requirements.
- Approximately 190 step-by-step procedure checklists enable you to assess and track your performance for every procedure included in the textbook.
- Chapter-by-chapter correlation with the textbook allows you to easily follow core textbook competencies.
- Matching and acronym activities reinforce your understanding of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and chapter vocabulary.
- Short-answer and fill-in-the-blank exercises strengthen your comprehension of key concepts.
- Multiple-choice questions help you prepare for classroom and board exams.
- Workplace application exercises promote critical thinking and job readiness before you enter practice.
- Internet exercises offer ideas for expanded and project-based learning.
- NEW! Content aligns to 2022 Medical Assisting educational competencies.
- NEW! Advanced Clinical Skills unit features three new chapters on IV therapy, radiology basics, and radiology positioning to support expanded medical assisting functions.
- NEW! Coverage of telemedicine, enhanced infection control related to COVID-19, and catheterization.
- NEW! Procedures address IV therapy, limited-scope radiography, applying a sling, and coaching for stool collection.
- UPDATED! Coverage of administrative functions includes insurance, coding, privacy, security, and more.
- EXPANDED! Information on physical medicine and rehabilitation.
- EXPANDED! Content on specimen collection, including wound swab, nasal, and nasopharyngeal specimen collections.
Chapter 1 The Professional Medical Assistant and the Healthcare Team
Chapter 2 Therapeutic Communication
Chapter 3 Legal Principles
Chapter 4 Healthcare Laws
Chapter 5 Healthcare Ethics
Chapter 6 Technology
Chapter 7 Written Communication
Chapter 8 Telephone Techniques
Chapter 9 Scheduling Appointments and Patient Processing
Chapter 10 Health Records
Chapter 11 Daily Operations and Safety
Chapter 12 Health Insurance Essentials
Chapter 13 Diagnostic Coding Essentials
Chapter 14 Procedural Coding Essentials
Chapter 15 Medical Billing and Reimbursement Essentials
Chapter 16 Patient Accounts and Practice Management
Chapter 17 Advanced Roles in Administration
Chapter 18 Introduction to Medical Terminology and Anatomy
Chapter 19 Infection Control
Chapter 20 Vital Signs
Chapter 21 Physical Examination
Chapter 22 Patient Coaching
Chapter 23 Nutrition and Health Promotion
Chapter 24 Surgical Supplies and Instruments
Chapter 25 Assisting with Surgical Procedures
Chapter 26 Principles of Electrocardiography
Chapter 27 Medical Emergencies
Chapter 28 Principles of Pharmacology
Chapter 29 Pharmacology Math
Chapter 30 Administering Medications
Chapter 31 Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology
Chapter 32 Dermatology
Chapter 33 Allergy and Infectious Disease
Chapter 34 Gastroenterology
Chapter 35 Orthopedics and Rheumatology
Chapter 36 Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Chapter 37 Neurology
Chapter 38 Behavioral Health
Chapter 39 Endocrinology
Chapter 40 Cardiology
Chapter 41 Pulmonology
Chapter 42 Urology and Male Reproduction
Chapter 43 Obstetrics and Gynecology
Chapter 44 Pediatrics
Chapter 45 Geriatrics
Chapter 46 Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory
Chapter 47 Urinalysis
Chapter 48 Blood Collection
Chapter 49 Analysis of Blood
Chapter 50 Microbiology and Immunology
Chapter 51 Intravenous Therapy
Chapter 52 Radiology Basics
Chapter 53 Positioning for Radiology
Chapter 54 Skills and Strategies
Brigitte Niedzwiecki, RN, MSN, RMA, Medical Assistant Program Director & Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin and Julie Pepper, BS, CMA (AAMA), Medical Assisting Program Instructor, Health Navigator Program Director, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin