Essentials of Oral Histology and Embryology, 6th Edition
A strong foundation in oral biology prepares your students to provide optimal oral health care! Essentials of Oral Histology and Embryology: A Clinical Approach, 6th Edition uses a patient-centered approach in presenting oral biology and basic science for dental professionals. Coverage includes the anatomy of oral and facial tissues as well as orofacial development. In addition to the stages of tooth development, it covers eruption and shedding of teeth plus the parts of teeth – including enamel, dentin, dental pulp, and cementum. Using this text, students will gain the knowledge they need to succeed in the classroom and in clinical practice.
- Cutting-edge content provides essential knowledge of the basics of oral biology with a focus on practical clinical application.
- Clinical Comment, Consider the Patient, Quandaries in Science, and Case Study boxes apply scientific content to everyday dental practice and explore the boundaries of scientific research.
- Self-evaluation questions and practice quizzes help you prepare for classroom and national board exams.
- NEW! Coverage of COVID-19 includes how the virus affects the oral cavity.
- Updated full-color illustrations, micrographs, and histographs add to the already robust art program that supplements content by depicting various stages within the development of oral structures.
1 Development and Structure of Cells and Tissues
2 Structure and Function of Cells, Tissues, and Organs
3 Development of the Oral Facial Region
4 Development of the Face and Palate
5 Development of Teeth
6 Eruption and Shedding of the Teeth
9 Dental Pulp
11 Periodontium: Periodontal Ligament
12 Periodontium: Alveolar Process and Cementum
13 Temporomandibular Joint
14 Oral Mucosa
15 Salivary Glands and Tonsils
Daniel J. Chiego Jr., MS, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Cariology, Restorative Sciences, and Endodontics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA