Massage Therapy - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Make the essential principles of massage therapy more approachable for your students! Covering massage fundamentals, techniques, and anatomy and physiology, Massage Therapy: Principles and Practice, 7th Edition prepares your students for success in class, on exams, and in practice settings. This student-friendly text includes more than 700 images, expanded information on the latest protocols, critical thinking questions at the end of each chapter, and updated pathologies which reflect what students will encounter in the field.
- Simple, straightforward coverage is written in a clear, approachable manner to strengthen student comprehension.
- UNIQUE! Combined anatomy and physiology and fundamentals material make this a streamlined solution — one book to buy, one book to carry, one complete resource to reference.
- Certification Practice Exam mimics the major certification exams and provides excellent practice for board review.
- Critical thinking questions at the end of the chapters help students develop clinical reasoning skills.
- Robust art program enhances understanding and comprehension of each topic presented through a mixture of high-quality illustrations and clinical photographs.
- NEW! Updated Hydrotherapy and Spa chapter features the latest procedures.
- NEW! Expanded sports massage section in the Clinical Massage chapter offers additional information on this growing practice area.
- NEW! Revised artwork in the Kinesiology chapter clearly illustrates key concepts.
FOUNDATIONS FOR PRACTICE, BASIC AND COMPLEMENTARY METHODS,
AND BUSINESS PRACTICES
1. History of Massage: Prehistoric Times to the Modern Era and
Professional Societies, Organizations, and Associations
2. The Therapeutic Relationship: Ethics, Boundaries, and
3. Tools of the Trade: Massage Tables, Table Accessories, Linens,
Lubricants, Essential Oils, and the Treatment Room
4. Career Longevity: Self-Care, Burnout Prevention, and
the Wellness Model
5. Evidence-Informed Practice and Research Literacy
6. Massage Therapy and Research: A Review of the Literature
7. Body Mechanics, Client Positioning, and Draping
8. Massage Techniques, Mobilizations, and Stretches
9. Standard Precautions, Contraindications, and Emergency
10. Professional Standards: Scope of Practice, Assessments, Treatment
Planning, Informed Consent, and Documentation
11. Special Populations: Massage for Pregnant Women, Infants, Children,
Adolescents, Tactical Athletes and the Military, Elderly, and People
12. NEW! Hydrotherapy: Clinical and Spa Applications
13. Foot Reflexology: Principles and Practice
14. Clinical Massage: Pain, Trigger Points, Fascia, Orthopedic Assessments,
and Application Methods
15. Seated Massage: Principles and Practice
16. Asian Bodywork Therapy: Shiatsu, Thai Massage, Ayurvedic Principles,
17. Business Practices: Licensing, Employment, Marketing, Professional
Development, Resources, Accounting, and Planning
ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY, AND PATHOLOGY
18. Introduction to the Human Body: Medical Terminology, Cells, Tissues,
and the Body Compass
19. Skeletal System and Pathologies
20. Muscular System and Pathologies
22. Integumentary System and Pathologies
23. Nervous System and Pathologies
24. Endocrine System and Pathologies
25. Reproductive System and Pathologies
26. Cardiovascular System and Pathologies
27. Lymphatic System and Pathologies
28. Respiratory System and Pathologies
29. Digestive System and Pathologies
30. Urinary System and Pathologies
Short Biography Index
Susan G. Salvo, EdD, LMT, BCTMB, Director of Education and Instructor at Louisiana Institute of Massage Therapy