Foundations of Health Information Management - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 6th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Foundations of Health Information Management, 6th Edition is an absolute must for any student beginning a career in HIM. By focusing on healthcare delivery systems, electronic health records, and the processing, maintenance, and analysis of health information, this engaging, easy-to-understand text presents a realistic and practical view of technology and trends in healthcare. It readies students for the role of a Registered Health Information Technician, who not only maintains and secures accurate health documentation, but serves as a healthcare analyst who translates data into useful, quality information that can control costs and further research. This edition is organized by CAHIIM competencies to prepare students for the RHIT® credentialing exam, as well as EHR samples, critical-thinking exercises, and expanded coverage of key issues in HIM today.
- Clear writing style and easy reading level make reading and studying more time efficient.
- Organized for CAHIIM competencies to assure that you are prepared to sit for the exam.
- Competency Check-in Exercises at the end of every main section in each chapter encourage you to review and apply key concepts.
- Competency Milestone feature at the end of each chapter hosts ample assessments to ensure your comprehension of the CAHIIM competencies.
- Ethics Challenge links topics to professional ethics with real-world scenarios and critical-thinking questions.
- Critical-thinking questions challenge you to apply learning to professional situations.
- Mock RHIT® exam provides you with the opportunity to practice taking a timed, objective-based exam.
- Specialized chapters, including legal, statistics, coding, and performance improvement and project management, support in-depth learning.
- Professional Profile highlights key HIM professionals represented in chapter discussions.
- Patient Care Perspective illustrates the impact of HIM professionals on patients and patient care.
- Career Tip boxes instruct you on a course of study and work experience required for the position.
- Chapter summaries and reviews allow for easy review of each chapter’s main concepts.
- SimChart® and SimChart® for the Medical Office EHR samples demonstrate electronic medical records in use.
- NEW! Expanded leadership content discusses career planning and development.
- NEW! Expanded management narrative includes exercises in policies and procedures; job descriptions; and evaluations, meetings, and minutes.
- NEW! Coverage of emerging issues addresses information blocking, persistence of hybrid records, and EHR documentation.
- NEW! Expanded content on data analytics explores secondary uses of data.
- NEW! Enhanced discussion of registries.
- NEW! Updated content reflects new ICD-10 codes and organization.
- NEW! Expanded content on reimbursement and revenue cycle includes Chargemaster and non-acute care settings.
- NEW! Additional critical-thinking exercises challenge you to apply your knowledge.
- NEW! Downloadable, customizable glossary is indexed to the chapters.
- NEW! Enhanced and expanded real-world scenarios demonstrate how key concepts apply to professional practice.
Unit 1: The Environment of Health Care
1. The Health Care Industry
2. Collecting and Storing Health Care Data
Unit 2: Content, Structure, and Processing of Health Information
3. Sources of Data
4. Data Quality and Management
5. Coded Data
Unit 3: Use and Analysis of Data
6. Financial Management
7. Statistics and Data Analytics
Unit 4: Administration and Operations
8. Confidentiality and Compliance
9. Management and Leadership
10. Performance Improvement and Project Management
Appendix A Paper Health Records
Appendix B Electronic Documentation
Appendix C Using Microsoft Excel to Perform Calculations
Nadinia A. Davis, MBA, RHIA, CHDA, CCS, FAHIMA, Program Coordinator, Health Information Management and Medical Coding Studies, Delaware Technical Community College, Wilmington, Delaware