Mastering Concept-Based Teaching and Competency Assessment - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Learn how to develop and implement a successful concept-based curriculum and competency assessment! Written specifically for nursing faculty by thought-leader Jean Giddens, Mastering Concept-Based Teaching and Competency Assessment, 3rd Edition provides the understanding and expertise you need to make the transition from traditional content-focused instruction to a conceptual approach to teaching and learning, and from knowledge assessment to competency assessment. New to this edition is a new chapter on differentiating concept-based and competency-based approaches. A perfect complement to Giddens’ student-oriented textbook Concepts for Nursing Practice, this book is ideal for both undergraduate and graduate faculty, and also serves as a helpful study tool for faculty preparing for the Certified Nurse Educator exam.
- Framework for a concept-based curriculum (CBC) begins with an overview of the conceptual approach and then discusses the steps used in developing a CBC, using concepts as the infrastructure for the curriculum.
- Strong foundation in how to teach within a CBC examines the nature of concepts, their function in the process of learning, and the importance of being consistent in the selection and implementation of concepts.
- Balanced teaching strategies engage students with an open environment and learning activities demonstrating the application of information to multiple situations.
- Success evaluation criteria explain the importance of analyzing evaluation data to measure the achievement of student learning and for evaluating a CBC program.
- Misconceptions and Clarifications boxes reflect the latest research in conceptual learning to help clarify important concepts.
- NEW! Differentiating Concept-Based and Competency-Based Approaches chapter explains the close interrelationship of concepts and competencies.
- NEW! Updated content reflects the latest evidence and literature on the conceptual approach and the application of competencies within the conceptual approach.
- NEW! Improved graphic design and layout makes the content more visually appealing and promotes understanding.
1. The Conceptual Approach: Background and Benefits
2. Differentiating Concept-Based and Competency-Based Approaches
3. Concepts for the Nursing Discipline
4. Developing a Concept-Based Curriculum
5. Conceptual Learning
6. Concept-Based Instruction for the Classroom
7. Concept-Based Instruction for Clinical Education
8. Assessment and Evaluation
9. Advancing the Conceptual Approach in Nursing
Jean Foret Giddens, PhD, RN, FAAN, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Executive Nurse Fellow, Dean and Professor, School of Nursing, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia