Mosby's Veterinary PDQ - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 4th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Find practical, detailed, and quick veterinary information in this pocket-sized reference! Ideal for the clinical setting, Mosby's Veterinary PDQ, 4th Edition provides fast access to hundreds of veterinary facts, formulas, lab values, and procedures. Coverage includes key topics such as the physical exam, common diseases, emergency care, pharmacology, diagnostic procedures and imaging techniques, surgery and anesthesia, parasite identification, urinalysis, blood tests, and other lab work. A special section offers a guide to normal lab values. Written by expert clinician and vet tech educator Kristin Holtgrew-Bohling, this full-color guide makes it easy to find the information that is most useful in practice.
- Quick-access format is organized into 10 tabbed, color-coded sections, and makes it easy to find facts quickly.
- Valuable formulas, conversions, and lab values make it easy to look up the data needed to deliver safe and effective veterinary care.
- Information on topics such as dental imaging, surgery, and breathing circuits keeps you up to date on the latest techniques and equipment.
- Easy-to-read charts and tables summarize important information that vet techs commonly use but rarely memorize.
- Full-color photos and drawings illustrate procedures and tests, dental and surgical instruments, parasites, and urine and blood analysis.
- Convenient size easily fits in the busy vet tech’s pocket for use while on the job.
- Spiral binding allows you to lay the book flat or keep it open to a specific page, and durable pages can withstand everyday use in the clinical setting.
- NEW! Updated drug information includes the newest pharmacologic agents and their uses, dosage forms, and adverse side effects.
- NEW! New and updated images prepare you to perform routine procedures.
PHYSICAL EXAMINATION Anatomical Planes of Reference Normal Physiological Data in Adult Dogs and Cats Body Condition Scoring System Nutritional Calculations Nutrient Guidelines for Wellness Mucus Membranes and Capillary Refill Time Pain Scores Estimating Degree of Dehydration Physical Exam Findings by Body System HEMATOLOGY, SEROLOGY, AND URINALYSIS Anticoagulants Hematology Reference Range Values Hemostasis Reference Range Values Hematology Morphology WBC Morphology Normal Chemistry Urinalysis Gross Exam, Specific Gravity, and Stick Evaluation Urinary Cellular Sediment Examination Urinalysis Cast Sediment Examination—No Casts Should Be Present Urine Crystal Sediment Examination PARASITOLOGY Common Parasite Prevention Recommendations Parasite Identification and Treatment Heartworm/Flea and Tick Preventatives for Dogs Heartworm/Flea and Tick Preventatives for Cats CYTOLOGY DTM Fungal Culture Identification Common Cell Types in Cytology Samples Characteristics of Fluid Samples Vaginal Cytology Interpretation EMERGENCY AND PROCEDURES Emergencies Fluid Therapy COMMON DISEASES OF DOGS AND CATS Ophthalmology Dermatology Otic Dental Pulmonary Cardiology Gastrointestinal Anal Glands Urinary Tract Orthopedics Hematology Endocrinology Tick Borne Neurology Oncology Reproduction PHARMACOLOGY Commonly Used Medical Prescription Abbreviations Conversion Factors Common Medications Antimicrobials Antivirals Antifungals Analgesic and Antiinflammatory Agents Other Analgesics Corticosteroids Glycosaminoglycans Opioid (Narcotic) Analgesics Dermatology Ear Medications Eye Medications Anticonvulsants Cardiovascular Drugs Antiarrhythmics Respiratory Drugs Gastrointestinal Drugs Endocrine Drugs Antidotes Euthanasia Drugs SURGERY AND ANESTHESIA Normal Heart Rate and Blood Pressure in Dogs and Cats Normal Blood Gas Values Anesthesia Machines Breathing Circuits Oxygen Flow Rate Values Endotracheal Tubes Preanesthetics, Sedatives, Anesthetics MLK Canine or Feline Patient Weight in Kilograms Propofol CRI: Canine or Feline Patient Weight in Kilograms Capnography Electrocardiography Common Abnormalities Seen on ECG Surgical Instruments Surgical Pack Storage Pain Evaluation DENTISTRY Directional Terms Used in Dentistry Common Dental Abbreviations and Symbols for Charting the Mouth Dental Directional Terms Dental Formulas for Cats and Dogs Normal Root Numbers Dental Imaging Dental Instruments Abnormalities RECOMMENDATIONS AND PROTOCOLS Common Vaccinations for Dogs Common Vaccines for Cats Retroviral Testing Recommendations in Cats Vetoryl Treatment and Monitoring Flowchart Vertebral Heart Score INDEX
Kristin J. Holtgrew-Bohling, DVM, LVT, RLATG, Instructor, Veterinary Technology Program, Vatterott College, Omaha, NE; Iowa State University/ University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Professional Program of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2014