Immunology Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),8th Edition
Immunology, 8th Edition makes it easy for you to learn all the basic and clinical concepts you need to know for your courses and USMLEs. This medical textbook’s highly visual, carefully structured approach makes immunology simple to understand and remember.
- Understand the building blocks of the immune system - cells, organs and major receptor molecules - as well as initiation and actions of the immune response, especially in a clinical context.
- Visually grasp and retain difficult concepts easily thanks to a user-friendly color-coded format, key concept boxes, explanatory diagrams, and over 190 photos to help you visualize tissues and diseases.
- Put concepts into practice. "Critical Thinking Boxes" and 25 online cases encourage you to "think immunologically" while anchoring your understanding of immunology through clinical application.
- Gauge your mastery of the material and build confidence with high-yield style chapter-opening summaries and case-based and USMLE-style questions that provide effective chapter review and quick practice for your exams.
- Access the full contents online at www.studentconsult.com where you'll find the complete text and illustrations, USMLE-style questions, clinical cases, and much more!
- Get the depth of coverage you need in a smaller, more manageably sized book. Through meticulous editing and reorganization, primary material remains in the book while more specialized and clinical material has been moved online.
- Master the most cutting-edge concepts in immunology. Thorough updates throughout provide the timely knowledge you need ace your exams.
List of Contributors ix
Components of the Immune System 1
1 Introduction to the Immune System 3
2 Cells, Tissues, and Organs of the
Immune System 17
Peter M Lydyard and Nino Porakishvili
3 Antibodies 51
4 Complement 71
B Paul Morgan
5 T Cell Receptors and MHC Molecules 89
David B Roth
Modes of Immune Response 107
6 Mechanisms of Innate Immunity 109
7 Mononuclear Phagocytes in Immune
Luisa Martinez-Pomares and
8 Antigen Presentation 143
9 Cell Cooperation in the Antibody
Joseph C Marini and Kalpit A Vora
10 Cell-mediated Cytotoxicity 171
11 Regulation of the Immune Response 183
12 Immune Responses in Tissues 199
Defense Against Infectious Agents 209
13 Immunity to Viruses 211
Persephone Borrow and Anthony A Nash
14 Immunity to Bacteria and Fungi 223
Gregory J Bancroft
15 Immunity to Protozoa and Worms 243
Richard J Pleass
16 Primary Immunodeficiencies 263
Luigi D Notarangelo
17 AIDS, Secondary Immunodeficiency
and Immunosuppression 277
Dean H Kedes and Lisa A Nichols
18 Vaccination 289
Immune Responses Against Tissues 305
19 Immunological Tolerance 307
20 Autoimmunity and Autoimmune
James E Peters and David A Isenberg
21 Transplantation and Rejection 341
Andrew J T George
22 Immunity to Cancers 355
Pramod K Srivastava
23 Immediate Hypersensitivity (Type I) 371
Thomas A E Platts-Mills
24 Hypersensitivity (Type II) 393
25 Hypersensitivity (Type III) 405
David P D’Cruz
26 Hypersensitivity (Type IV) 419
Warwick J Britton
1. Major Histocompatibility Complex
2. CD System
3. The Major Cytokines
4. Human Chemokines and Their Receptors
Critical thinking: Explanations 433
David Male, MA, PhD, Professor of Biology, Department of Life Sciences, The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK, Jonathan Brostoff, MA, DM, DSc(Med), FRCP, FRCPath, Professor Emeritus of Allergy and Environmental Health, King's College London, London, UK, David Roth, MD, PhD, Simon Flexner Professor and Chair of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA and Ivan Roitt, DSc HonFRCP FRCPath FRS, Hon Director, Middlesex Centre for Investigative & Diagnostic Oncology, School of Health & Social Sciences, Middlesex University, London, UK