Medical Biochemistry Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 4th Edition
Brought to you in a thorough yet accessible manner, the new edition of Medical Biochemistry gives access to all of the latest information on basic and clinically focused genetic and molecular biology. Featuring a team of contributors that includes investigators involved in cutting-edge research as well as experienced clinicians, this updated medical textbook offers a unique combination of both research and practice that's ideal for today's problem-based integrated courses.
- Relate biochemistry to everyday practice with the help of Clinical Boxes integrated into the text, and access in-depth coverage of important topics - including recent research in biochemistry - through Advanced Concept Boxes.
- Test your knowledge and improve retention with Active Learning Boxes at the conclusion of each chapter, and quickly review the most common lab tests performed with convenient Clinical Test Boxes.
- Effectively study the most updated information in biochemistry with the help of a dynamic, full-color design.
- Better understand the relationship between science and clinical practice with material organized by organ rather than system.
- Quickly review descriptions of difficult concepts with an online glossary available at Student Consult. Additional online components include clinical images, clinical boxes, case studies, online note-taking capabilities, and 150 multiple-choice and USMLE-style questions.
- Gain a thorough understanding of biomarkers and their uses with brand-new information on the subject.
- Access today's most recent research regarding Gene Therapy, Proteomics and Recombinant DNA Techniques, Role of Kidney in Metabolism, and Neurochemistry.
01 Introduction 02 Amino Acids and Proteins 03 Carbohydrates and Lipids 04 Blood and Plasma Proteins 05 Oxygen Transport 06 Catalytic Proteins-Enzymes 07 Hemostasis and Thrombosis 08 Membranes and Transport 09 Bioenergetics and Oxidative Metabolism 10 Digestion and Absorption of Nutrients: The Gastrointestinal Tract 11 Vitamins and Minerals 12 Anaerobic Metabolism of Glucose in the Red Blood Cell 13 Carbohydrate Storage and Synthesis in Liver and Muscle 14 The Tricarboxylic Acid Cycle 15 Oxidative Metabolism of Lipids in Liver and Muscle 16 Biosynthesis and Storage of Fatty Acids 17 Biosynthesis of Cholesterol and Steroids 18 Lipoproteins Metabolism and Atherogenesis 19 Biosynthesis and Degradation of Amino Acids 20 Muscle: Energy Metabolism and Contraction 21 Glucose Homeostasis and Fuel Metabolism: Diabetes Mellitus 22 Nutrition and Energy Balance 23 Role of Kidneys in Metabolism 24 Water and Electrolyte Homeostasis 25 Regulation of Hydrogen Ion Concentration (Acid-Base Balance) 26 Bone Metabolism and Calcium Homeostasis 27 Complex Carbohydrates: Glycoproteins 28 Complex Lipids 29 The Extracellular Matrix 30 Role of the Liver in Metabolism 31 Biosynthesis and Degradation of Nucleotides 32 Deoxyribonucleic Acid 33 Ribonucleic Acid 34 Protein Synthesis and Turnover 35 Regulation of Gene Expression: Basic Mechanisms 36 Regulation of Gene Expression: Genomics, Proteomics and Metabolomics 37 Oxygen and Life 38 The Immune Response 39 Biochemical Endocrinology 40 Membrane Receptors and Signal Transduction 41.1 Neurotransmitters 41.2 Neurochemistry 42 Cellular Homeostasis: Cell Growth and Cancer 43 Aging
John W Baynes, PhD, Carolina Distinguished Professor Emeritus; Department of Pharmacology, Physiology and Neuroscience; University of South Carolina School of Medicine; Columbia, South Carolina; USA and Marek H. Dominiczak, MD, Dr, Hab, Med, FRCPath, Professor of Clinical Biochemistry and Medical Humanities, University of Glasgow; Consultant Biochemist, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde; Department of Biochemistry, Gartnavel General Hospital, Glasgow, UK