Psychiatric Drugs Explained - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,5th Edition
This version is now out of print. An edition with e-book is available under ISBN 97880702041365.
Psychiatric Drugs Explained contains a clear and comprehensive guide to the uses, benefits and impact of psychotropic drugs. It explains how people taking the drugs experience their side effects compared to the benefits they may bring. The fifth edition has been fully revised and updated to include the latest thinking on the rationale for drug treatements to help mental health professionals and service users understand therapeutic decision making.
* Organized by disorder
* Comprehensive review of drug effects, action and side-effects
* 'User issues' boxes to highlight particular problems experienced
* Website addresses to allow searching for further information
* Questionnaires to help assess side effects
* New antipsychotic drugs and metabolic complications
* New antidepressants
* How drugs and therapies such as cognitive behavioural therapy interact and compete
* Drugs that affect sexual functioning
* Evidence-based medicine
David Healy, MD, FRCPsych, Director, North Wales Department of Psychological Medicine, College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Bangor, UK