Anatomy and Physiology for Midwives - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 4th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
This is a new edition of a highly popular text which presents the fascinating field of reproductive anatomy and physiology in a style which is perfect for student midwives.
Presenting often complex information in an easy-to-understand manner, this useful volume builds up from the founding principles of human structure and function through to conception, embryological development and foetal growth, parturition and the transition to neonatal life. Fully updated throughout with the latest advances in the field, additional topics include sexual differentiation and behaviour, human genetics and genetic disorders, immunology, and maternal and infant nutrition.
Containing over 200 line artworks to support the text, each chapter comes with Learning Outcome boxes, Case Studies, Key Points and Application to Practice boxes, all of which reinforce learning and help ‘bring the subject to life’.
A well-established introduction to the science underpinning modern midwifery practice, Anatomy and Physiology for Midwives 4th edition will be ideal for all students of midwifery, including anyone returning to practice.
Duration for access to this product, which may be at the discretion of your institution, is up to 84 months. Elsevier reserves the right to restrict or remove access due to changes in product portfolio or other market conditions.
- Highly popular midwifery resource that explains the principles of reproductive A&P in an accessible and friendly manner
- Learning Objectives at the start of each chapter help readers structure their study time
- Case Studies ‘bring the subject to life’ and provide an opportunity to reflect on the implications for clinical practice
- Acknowledges the importance of underlying research and integrates theory and practice
- End of chapter Key Points and Application to Practice boxes further reinforce learning
- Helps midwives deal with questions from increasingly informed ‘parents to be’
- More than 200 illustrations help clarify sometimes complex anatomical, physiological and clinical information
- New authorship brings additional expertise into the areas of cell physiology and research, particularly its clinical application to fertility and parturition
- An upgraded artwork program enhances the look and feel of the book
- Contains updates in the fast-moving field of reproductive physiology such as recent advances in fertility treatment, postnatal care of premature infants, and the impact of the gestational environment and early nutrition on later health
- Updated case studies reflect areas of advancing midwifery practice
List of abbreviations 1. Introduction to Physiology 2. The Reproductive and Urinary Systems 3. Endocrinology 4. Reproductive Cycles 5. Sexual Differentiation and Behaviour 6. Fertilisation 7. Overview of Human Genetics and Genetic Disorders 8. The Placenta 9. Embryo Development and Fetal Growth 10. Overview of Immunology 11. Physiological Adaptation to Pregnancy 12. Maternal Nutrition and Health 13. Physiology of Parturition 14. The Puerperium 15. The Transition to Neonatal Life 16. Lactation and Infant Nutrition Glossary Index
Jane Coad, BSc PhD PGCEA, Professor in Nutrition, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand, Kevin Pedley, B.Sc.(Hons), D. Phil., Associate Professor in Physiology, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand and Melvyn Dunstall, BSc MSc PGCEA RM RGN, Formerly Deputy Research & Development Manager, Lead Midwife for Research, Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust, Surrey, UK