Veterinary Medicine - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 11th Edition
Treat the diseases affecting large animals! Veterinary Medicine, 11th Edition provides up-to-date information on the diseases of horses, cattle, sheep, goats, and pigs. Comprehensive coverage includes the principles of clinical examination and making a diagnosis, along with specific therapy recommendations. For easier use, this edition has been divided into two volumes and restructured into a logical, anatomically based approach to disease. From internationally known veterinary experts Peter Constable, Kenneth Hinchcliff, Stanley Done, and Walter Grünberg, this book is the definitive, one-stop reference for farm animal and equine care.
- Comprehensive coverage includes information essential to any large-animal veterinarian, especially those working with horses, cattle, sheep, goats, or pigs.
- Coverage of diseases addresses major large-animal diseases of all countries, including foreign animal and emerging diseases.
- User-friendly format makes it easier to quickly absorb key information.
- Quick review/synopsis sections make important information on complex diseases easy to find.
- NEW! Convenient, easy-access format is organized by organ systems, and divides the content into two compact volumes with the same authoritative coverage.
- Nearly 200 new color photographs and line drawings are included in this edition.
- NEW full-color design improves navigation, clarifies subject headings, and includes more boxes, tables, and charts for faster reference.
- New Diseases Primarily Affecting the Reproductive System chapter is added.
- Updated and expanded chapter on pharmacotherapy lists therapeutic interventions and offers treatment boxes and principles of antibiotic use.
- Expanded sections on herd health include biosecurity and infection control, and valuable Strength of Evidence boxes.
- NEW or extensively revised sections include topics such as the Schmallenberg and Bluetongue viral epidemics of ruminants in Europe, Wesselbron disease in cattle, hypokalemia in adult cattle, equine multinodular pulmonary fibrosis, Hendra virus infection, porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome, torque teno virus, and numerous recently identified congenital and inherited disorders of large animals.
- Additional content is provided on lameness in cattle and the diseases of cervids.
1. Clinical Examination and Making a Diagnosis
2. Examination of the Population
3. Biosecurity and Infection Control
4. General Systemic States
5. Disturbances of Free Water, Electrolytes, Acid-Base Balance, and Oncotic Pressure
6. Practical Antimicrobial Therapeutics
7. Diseases of the Alimentary Tract – Horses, Pigs, and Neonatal Ruminants
8. Diseases of the Alimentary Tract – Adult Ruminants
9. Diseases of the Liver and Pancreas
10. Diseases of the Cardiovascular System
11. Diseases of the Hemolymphatic and Immune Systems
12. Diseases of the Respiratory System
13. Diseases of the Urinary System
14. Diseases of the Nervous System
15. Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System
16. Diseases of the Skin, Eye, Conjunctiva, and External Ear
17. Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases
18. Diseases Primarily Affecting the Reproductive System NEW!
19. Perinatal Diseases
20. Diseases of the Mammary Gland
21. Systemic and Multi-Organ Diseases
Appendix 1: Conversion Tables
Appendix 2: Reference Laboratory Values
Appendix 3: Drug doses and intervals for horses and ruminants
Appendix 4: Drug doses and intervals for pigs
Peter D. Constable, BVSc, MS, PhD, Dipl ACVIM, Professor & Head, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA, Kenneth W Hinchcliff, BVSc, MS, PhD, DACVIM (Large Animal), Professor and Dean of Veterinary Science
The University of Melbourne, Stanley H. Done, BA, BVetMed, PhD, DECPHM, DECVP, FRCVS, FRCPath, Visiting Professor of Veterinary Pathology, University of Galsgow Veterinary School; Former Lecturer in Veterinary Anatomy, Royal Veterinary College, London and Walter Gruenberg