Handbook of Pediatric Dentistry - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Based on the understanding that oral health is an important social determinant of health, the latest edition of this internationally recognised handbook equips the reader with necessary skills and knowledge to provide truly integrative patient care.
The text goes beyond the technical skills needed to treat children’s dental disorders. It covers assessment of a child’s health and development, their oral health, the newest clinical interventions, and concepts of dental disease initiation and progression. It guides the reader through the management and communication skills needed to deal with children, and how to support their overall health behaviours.
Written by renowned authors Angus Cameron and Richard P Widmer, this text is an essential companion for all practitioners who treat children, including undergraduate dental students, general dental practitioners, specialist pediatric dentists, orthodontists and pediatricians.
- Emphasis on growth and development to support readers in their important role as pediatric oral physicians.
- Fully reviewed and rewritten to provide the latest thinking on dental caries, restorative pediatric dentistry, children with special needs, oral medicine, trauma, and dental anomalies.
- Readily accessible and written in a friendly ‘how to’ manner for use chairside.
- Full colour illustrations throughout.
- ‘'Clinical Hints’ boxes to act as useful aide-mémoires.
1. The philosophy of paediatric dentistry: The philosophy of paediatric dentistry – What is paediatric dentistry?
2. Child development, relationships and behaviour management
3. Pharmacological behaviour management
4. Dental caries
5. Fluoride and dental health
6. Restorative paediatric dentistry
7. Pulp therapy for primary and immature permanent teeth
8. Clinical and surgical techniques
9. Trauma management
10. Paediatric oral medicine, oral pathology and radiology
11. Dental anomalies
12. Medically compromised children
13. Children with special needs
14. Management of cleft lip and palate
15. Speech, language and swallowing
Appendix A Blood and serum testing and investigations
Appendix B Paediatric life support
Appendix C Management of anaphylaxis
Appendix D Management of acute asthma
Appendix E Fluid and electrolyte balance
Appendix F Antibiotic prophylaxis protocols for the prevention of infective endocarditis
Appendix G Glasgow coma scale
Appendix H Common drugs usage in paediatric dentistry
Appendix I Radiology
Appendix J Ethics in paediatric dentistry
Appendix K Somatic growth and maturity
Appendix L Growth charts
Appendix M Eruption dates of teeth
Appendix N Construction of family pedigree
Appendix O Calculating fluoride values for dental products
Appendix P Covid-19 and paediatric dentistry
Angus C. Cameron, BDS (Hons) MDSc (Syd) FDSRCS(Eng) FRACDS FICD, Head, Department of Paediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics, Westmead Hospital, Sydney; Clinical Associate Professor and Head, Paediatric Dentistry, The University of Sydney; Visiting Senior Specialist, The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, Australia and Richard P. Widmer, MDSc,FRACDS, Paediatric Dentist, Head of Department & Senior Staff Specialist, Paediatric Dentistry; Assistant Professor, University of Sydney,The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, Australia