Behavior Problems of the Dog and Cat Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 4th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Choose a practical approach to the diagnosis and treatment of behavior problems of dogs and cats! Concise yet comprehensive, Behavior Problems of the Dog & Cat, 4th Edition is the definitive guide to the diagnosis and treatment of behavior problems of the dog and cat and has been extensively updated. It retains the highly practical approach that has proved so successful in previous editions, offering diagnostic guidelines, preventive advice, treatment guidelines and charts, case examples, client forms and handouts, and product and resource suggestions, along with details on the use of drugs and natural supplements to help optimize the behavior services offered in practice.
- Step-by-step guidelines describe how to collect a patient history, perform a thorough physical examination, conduct diagnostic testing, formulate differential diagnoses, select treatment, and monitor the patients’ responses.
- Background information describes how dog and cat behavior problems arise and how they can be prevented.
- Coverage of behavior modification techniques provides you with a clear understanding of suggested treatment as well as the use of drugs, products, pheromones, surgery, diet, and alternative therapies.
- Content on behavioral genetics explores this rapidly growing and advancing field and includes new therapeutic approaches for cognitive decline.
- Case studies illustrate real-life clinical situations.
- Easy-access treatment tables provide at-a-glance solutions to common behavior problems.
- Useful appendices include treatment protocols as well as the drug information and dosages that make effective prescribing easy.
- NEW! Many hot new topics are covered, including fear, anxiety, and stress and their effects on health and behavior, as well as pain and behavior, the psychobiological approach to veterinary behavior assessment, and pets and the family dynamic.
- NEW! Updated chapter content is extensively augmented or completely rewritten by new authors, making this more than just a new edition – it’s a new book!
- NEW! eBook version is included with print purchase which allows access to all of the text, figures, and references, with the ability to search, customize content, make notes and highlights, and have content read aloud. Online access also includes handouts and forms, drug dosing, and a comprehensive directory of resources.
1 Behavioral medicine and the general practitioner
2 Developmental, social, and communicative behavior
3 Pet selection and the genetics of behavior
4 Pets and the family dynamic
5 Prevention: the best medicine
6 All body systems affect behavior
7 Physiologic stress and its effect on health and welfare
8 The effects of aging on behavior in senior pets
9 Approach to the diagnosis and treatment
10 Behavioral treatment techniques, behavior modification, and learning theory
11 Pharmacologic intervention in behavioral therapy
12 Treatment – integrative medicine
13 Feeding and diet-related problems
14 Fears, phobias, and anxiety disorders
15 Noise aversion
16 Reducing fear, anxiety, and stress in veterinary clinics
17 Separation-related disorders
18 Abnormal repetitive behaviors: stereotypies and compulsive disorders
19 Unruly and destructive behaviors – canine
20 Unruly and destructive behaviors – feline
21 House soiling – Canine
22 House soiling – feline
23 Canine aggression
24 Feline aggression
25 The psychobiological approach to problem behavior assessment
Appendix A – Behavior resources
Appendix B – Medication dosages
Appendix C – Resources available from book website
Appendix D – This appendix contains forms and handouts that are available online in printable format.
Gary Landsberg, DVM, DACVB, DECAWBM (CA), Vice President, CanCog Inc., Head of Fear Free Research, Lisa Radosta, DVM, DACVB and Lowell Ackerman, DVM, DACVD, MBA, MPA, CVA, MRCVS, Westborough, MA, USA