Say It in Spanish, 3rd Edition
Page Count: 464
List Price: $42.95
This item has low stock levels and may be back-ordered. We'll let you know if it is back-ordered, and you will not be charged until the item ships.
This handy reference gives health professionals the basic tools needed to communicate with Spanish-speaking patients. Vocabulary lists and sample dialogs address situations commonly encountered in hospitals, clinics, physician's offices, or outpatient and community centers. It familiarizes readers with common words and phrases through consistent repetition and demonstrates how they are used in conversation. Questions that can be answered with a "yes" or "no" response are emphasized, designed to facilitate communication in emergency situations where rapid responses are needed. Pronunciations are provided both in the text and on an accompanying CD-ROM.
- Includes the words and phrases most commonly used by health professionals to eliminate the time-consuming process of looking up words in the dictionary.
- Specific questions that elicit yes or no answers assist health care providers with quickly obtaining essential information from patients.
- Sample dialogs cover common situations in the health care setting.
- Basic vocabulary such as numbers, colors, days of the weeks, and members of the family is included to facilitate conversations with Spanish-speaking patients.
- Vocabulary tables highlight basic vocabulary within the text for quick reference.
- Phrase and Sentence Index includes an alphabetical listing of all phrases and sentences used in chapter dialogs.
- An alphabetical Word Index allows easy access to specific words.
- Information on Hispanic culture and popular health beliefs helps readers provide culturally appropriate care.
- Pronunciations are provided for all sample dialogs and vocabulary so readers can speak with confidence.
- Three important new chapters have been added: Consent to Procedures/Surgery (Chapter 7); Discharging a Patient (Chapter 8); and Home Health/Hospice Care (Chapter 11).
- Organized according to health care settings such as the pediatrician's office, the emergency room, the cardiologist, and the home setting to make relevant phrases easy to locate.
- A CD-ROM containing audio recordings of sample dialogs is included with the book to reinforce correct pronunciations and train professionals to understand spoken Spanish.
- A bright, two-color design highlights headings and key features to make the book more visually appealing and useful.
Unit 1. Assessing, Admitting, and Discharging a Patient
Unidad I. Evaluando, Admitiendo y Dando de Alta al Paciente
1. First Aid – Primeros Auxilios
2. Pre-Hospital Care – Cuidados Pre-Hospitalarios
3. Emergency Care – Cuidado de urgencia (emergencia)
4. In the Hospital – En el hospital
5. Physical Assessment – Examen físico
6. Admitting a Patient – Admitiendo al paciente
7. Consent to Procedures/Surgery – Consentimiento a procedimientos/cirugia
8. Discharging a Patient – Dando de alta al paciente
9. Clerical Staff – Las secretarias
Unit 2. Home Situations
Unidad 2. Situaciones en el Hogar
10. Home Visit – Visita al hogar
11. Home Health/Hospice Care – Cuidado en casa/hospicio
12. Useful Vocabulary at Home – Vocabulario util sobre la vivienda
13. Members of the Family – Los miembros de la familia
Unit 3. Interacting with Health Care Providers
Unidad 3. Comunicandose con Proveedores de la Salud
14. Visit to the Pediatrician – Visita al pediatra
15. Visit to the OB-GYN – Visita al gíneco-obstetra
16. Visit to the Family Doctor – Visita al médico familiar
17. Visit to the Cardiologist – Visita al cardiólogo
18. Visit to the Endocrinologist – Visita al endocrinólogo
19. Visit to the Surgeon – Visita al cirujano
20. Amputations – Amputaciones
21. Visit to the Psychologist – Visita al psicólogo
22. Visit to the Dentist – Visita al dentista
Unit 4. TheHospital Setting
Unidad 4. En el Hospital
23. Patient’s Room – El cuarto del paciente
24. Laboratory – El laboratorio
25. Pharmacy – La farmacia
26. X-Ray Department – El departamento de rayos X
27. Meals – Las comidas
Unit 5. General Vocabulary
Unidad 5. Vocabulario General
28. Greetings and Common Expressions – Saludos y expresiones Comúnes
29. Commands – Ordenes o mandatos
30. Simple Questions, Interrogatives, and Exclamations – Preguntas sencillas, interrogativas, exclamaciones
31. Phrases – Frases
32. Numbers – Números
33. Time – La hora
34. Colors and Seasons – Los colores, las estaciones del año
35. Days and Months – Los meses, los dias
Unit 6. Grammar
Unidad 6. La Gramatica
36. Alphabet – El abecedario
37. Verbs – Verbos
38. Gender of Nouns – Genero de los sustantivos
39. Adjectives and Pronouns – Adjetivos y pronombres
40. Negatives, Affirmatives – Negativos, afirmativos
41. Accents – Acentos
42. Cognates – Cognados
Unit 7. Cultural Considerations
Unidad 7. Consideraciones Culturales
43. Cultural Perspective – Perspectivas Culturales
44. Home Cures and Popular Beliefs – Remedios Caseros y Creencias Populares
Phrase and Sentence Index
Esperanza Villanueva Joyce, EdD, CNS, RN and Maria Elena Villanueva, MD, Mexico, DF