A quick reference for the medical transcriptionist, this book provides basic rules of grammar as well as current trends in the field. It's especially useful in searching for help with an obscure rule or in reinforcing a common practice. Using short chapters, this text provides the Do's — the grammatical rule, its exceptions, and its variations, along with examples; and the Don'ts — any common contradictions of that rule. Examples are taken from medical writing rather than general writing.
- Easy-to-use format provides numbered topics in each chapter, which are followed by Do's and Don'ts in quick, easy sentences.
- Spiral binding allows book to lay flat so MT's can refer to a rule without taking their hands off the keyboard.
- Clear examples are given to clarify difficult-to-understand concepts and rules.
- HIPAA Guidelines chapter provides general information about HIPAA legislation, with rules explaining its impact on topics such as e-mail, faxing, patient records, and privacy/security.
- Content has been updated to reflect changes in technology (such as use of the Internet), slang terms, and new medical terms that affect the rules of medical transcription.
- A table lists dangerous abbreviations to avoid, all banned by JCAHO.
- Homonyms and Sound-alike Words in the appendix focus on the many homonyms in medical language that can confuse a medical transcriptionist and cause a document to be transcribed incorrectly, leading to incorrect treatment of the patient.
- Appendices are lettered and thumb-tabbed for ease of use, to differentiate from the body of the text.
- Content reflects the AAMT style, the standard among major employers of medical transcriptionists.
1. Abbreviations and Symbols
2. Address Formats for Letters and Forms of Address
4. Brief Forms, Short Forms, and Medical Slang
6. The Colon
7. The Comma
10. Drugs and Drug References
12. Electronic Mail
13. Envelope Preparation
15. Exclamation Mark
16. Faxing Documents
18. HIPAA Guidelines
19. History and Physical Format
20. Hyphen Use and Word Division
21. Laboratory Terminology and Normal Values
22. Letter Format
24. Medical Reports
25. Memos, Minutes, and Other Reports
26. Metric System
28. Obstetric Terms
30. Period and Decimal Point
31. Plural Forms
33. Progress Notes or Chart Notes
34. Proofreading and Revisions
35. Question Mark
36. Quotation Marks
37. Reference Materials and Publications
38. Rules to Transcribe by
40. Slang Expressions and Unusual Medical Terms
42. Spacing with Punctuation Marks
46. Underlining and Italics
47. Vitae Format and Preparation
48. Working From Home
49. Zip Codes
Appendix A Abbreviations Commonly Used
Appendix B Selected Abbreviations
Appendix C Brief Forms, Short Forms, and Medical Slang
Appendix D French Words Used in Medical Records
Appendix E Genus and Species Names, Clinically Significant Current Taxonomy
Appendix F Homonyms and Sound-alike Words
Appendix G Laboratory Terminology and Normal Values
Appendix H Latin Phrases
Appendix I Plural Forms
Appendix J Sound Variations of Syllables
Appendix K Unusual Medical Terms