Crash Course Nervous System Updated Print + eBook edition,4th Edition
The (printed) ‘Updated Edition’ now comes with added value access to the complete, downloadable eBook version via Student Consult. Search, read and revise whilst on the move and use the interactive self-assessment to test your understanding. Crash Course - a more flexible, practical learning package than ever before.
Crash Course – your effective every day study companion PLUS the perfect antidote for exam stress! Save time and be assured you have all the core information you need in one place to excel on your course and achieve exam success.
A winning formula now for over 15 years, each series volume has been fine tuned and fully updated, with an improved layout tailored to make your life easier. Especially written by senior medical students or recent graduates – those who have just been in the exam situation – with all information thoroughly checked and quality assured by expert faculty advisers, the result are books which exactly meet your needs and you know you can trust.
This highly accessible volume provides a strong foundation in understanding the essential basic neurosciences and the clinical investigation of the nervous system. Commencing with 'Learning Objectives', every chapter guides you succinctly through the topic, giving full coverage of the curriculum whilst avoiding unnecessary and often confusing detail.
- More than 160 illustrations present clinical, diagnostic and practical information in an easy-to-follow manner
- Friendly and accessible approach to the subject makes learning especially easy
- Written by students for students - authors who understand exam pressures
- Contains ‘Hints and Tips’ boxes, and other useful aide-mémoires
- Succinct coverage of the subject enables ‘sharp focus’ and efficient use of time during exam preparation
- Contains a fully updated self-assessment section - ideal for honing exam skills and self-testing
- Self-assessment section fully updated to reflect current exam requirements
- Contains ‘common exam pitfalls’ as advised by faculty
- Crash Courses also available electronically!
- Online self-assessment bank also available - content edited by Dan Horton-Szar!
Part I: Basic Medical Science of the Nervous System- Overview of the nervous system, cellular Physiology of the nervous system, Pharmacology of the central nervous system, The spinal cord, Somatosensation and the perception of pain, Motor control, Vision, Hearing, Olfaction and taste (gustation), The brainstem, Neuroendocrinology, The autonomic nervous system, The anatomy of higher function, Introduction to neuropsychology, Functional aspects of higher functions, Basic pathology, Pathology of the peripheral nerves and muscle, Neurogenetics;
Part II: Clinical Assessment- Common presentations of neurological disease, The neurological assessment, Further investigations;
Part III: Self-assessment- MCQs, SAQs, EMQs
Jenny Ross, MBChB, BMedSci, Core Trainee Year 1, ACCS Anaesthesia, Edinburgh, UK