A Clinical Handbook on Child Development Paediatrics,
This handbook offers a succinct study of Childhood Development Paediatrics with practical applications for helping the child and family through all areas of the developmental process.
The book covers diverse topics like developmental delay, learning difficulties, attention deficit disorders, autism, Asperger syndrome, behaviour difficulties, language disorders, school refusal, bullying, emotional difficulties, neurological impairments that affect development (examples being cerebral palsy and brain injury) and motor coordination problems.
It also offers online case scenarios on autism, ADHD, school refusal and truancy, cerebral palsy and child abuse and neglect. The cases are followed by questions to test the acquired knowledge of the student on these topics. This practical guide to child development is ideal for trainee paediatricians, registrars, paediatricians and general practitioners.
- Seven expert contributors with extensive experience in child development enhance the clinical knowledge base conveyed in this handbook
- Deals with developmental issues unlike comprehensive paediatric or child psychiatry texts
- Concise format providing practical tips
- Clinically and practically orientated (e.g. history, physical examination, assessment techniques)
- Comparison of normal and abnormal/normal development
- Definitions (Chapters.8,11,12) to clarify terms
- Several chapters (e.g. Chapters 8,9,10) inform about special problems/illnesses, which are increasing in incidence
- Online case scenarios on autism, ADHD, school refusal and truancy, cerebral palsy and child abuse and neglect are available on Student Consult
- Combines physical and psychological problems in the development of children, which might be already present at birth (Cerebral Palsy) or which might be apparent later in life (Chapter 8)
Chapter 1: Normal development
Chapter 2: Developmental assessment in the young child
Chapter 3: Motor and Coordination problems
Chapter 4: Vision and Hearing Loss
Chapter 5: Autism Spectrum Disorders
Chapter 6: Specific Learning Disorders
Chapter 7: Language Disorders
Chapter 8: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Chapter 9: Behaviour difficulties
Chapter 10: School Refusal and Truancy
Chapter 11: Mood Disorders in Children and Adolescents
Chapter 12: Cerebral Palsy
Chapter 13: Developmental and Intellectual Disability
Chapter 14: Child Abuse and Neglect
Chapter 15: Legal Issues related to Child Development
Sandra Johnson, MBChB, DPaed, FRACP, FRCPCH, FACLM, Clinical Senior Lecturer Discipline of Paediatrics And Child Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sydney.
Consultant Developmental Paediatrician, Child Development Paediatrics Private Practice, Pennant Hills, Sydney.