Core Curriculum for Pediatric Critical Care Nursing, 2nd Edition
Page Count: 912
List Price: $91.95
This item has low stock levels and may be back-ordered. We'll let you know if it is back-ordered, and you will not be charged until the item ships.
From the experts at the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN), comes the definitive resource on administering quality nursing care to critically ill pediatric patients. The 2nd edition has been updated to reflect the current state of pediatric critical care nursing practice and explores the anatomic, physiologic, and cognitive/psychosocial changes that occur across the lifespan of a child and identifies the ways in which these changes are affected by specific health problems. Using a systems-based approach for quick and easy reference, this authoritative resource covers developmental anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology and defining characteristics of common pediatric disorders, clinical assessment, relevant pharmacology, monitoring and diagnostic testing, and therapeutic procedures. Disease coverage includes essential pathophysiology, etiology and risk factors, signs and symptoms, nursing and collaborative management, and complications. Also serves as an effective study guide for the pediatric CCRN certification examination.
- This is the only certification review resource for pediatric critical care.
- Endorsed by the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN), the largest nursing specialty association in the world.
- Case studies provide further review of selected patient problems.
- Provides thorough coverage of multisystem problems, such as multiple trauma, toxicology, septic shock, and burns.
- Disease discussions include essential pathophysiology, etiology and risk factors, signs and symptoms, nursing and collaborative management, and complications.
- Content is divided by body systems for quick reference and investigates developmental anatomy and physiology, clinical assessment, pharmacology, diagnostic tests, and therapeutic procedures.
- Includes information on the evolution of the AACN's synergy model.
- A new section on Bioterrorism and other terror threats.
- A new section on Stabilization of the Critically Ill Neonate and Child for Transport.
- A new section on infectious diseases and appropriate antibiotic treatment provides content on resistant infections such as MRSA and VRE, as well as their potential for sepsis and prevalence in the PICU.
- A new section on monitoring equipment and principles includes information on proper setup and use of monitoring equipment, and limitations of equipment.
- Incorporates the latest pediatric drug information.
- Covers conscious/deep IV sedation in the PICU.
- Includes HIPPA regulations for bedside nursing care.
- Updated case studies in the Appendix section feature accompanying questions and answers for review.
1. Caring for the Critically Ill Children and Their Families
2. Pulmonary System
3. Cardiovascular System
4. Neurologic System
5. Renal System
6. Endocrine System
7. Gastrointestinal System
8. Hematology and Immunology
9. Multisystem Issues
Stabilization of the Critically Ill Neonate and Child for Transport NEW!
Appendix: Case Studies
AACN and Margaret C. Slota, RN, MN, Adjunct Faculty, University of Pittsburgh; Director, Critical Care Services, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA