A study and review aid for students struggling with this especially difficult subject area, this book offers a visual, straightforward approach that clearly explains topics such as drug calculations; oral, IM, topical, and IV drug administration; and special topics such as pediatric administration, advanced care, and technology. The 2nd edition features discussions on 30 new drugs, 25 new calculation problems on dimensional analysis, a new feature on Medication Safety Errors in outer margins, as well as updated NCLEX examination-style questions.
- Unique presentation of content allows students to survive and thrive.
- Material is presented using adult learning principles and various active-learning strategies to engage nursing students of all ages, backgrounds, and learning styles.
- Consistent chapter format breaks down information into small units and reinforces an effective thinking process.
- Special icons for Lifespan Considerations, Cultural Implications, Web Links, and Cautions help the student quickly identify special content in the chapter.
- Memory-reinforcing interactive activities (including fill-in the blank, matching, word jumbles, true/false, and crossword puzzles) promote student learning.
- Clinical terms and shorthand expressions are highlighted in parentheses to expose students to terminology that they will hear in the hospital setting.
- Boxed Take Home Points provide the benefit of years of nursing experience that students can use to prepare for their clinical rotation.
- Original cartoon-character illustrations walk the student through difficult subjects with a lighthearted approach.
- Cover design and series title better identify the series as a fun and simple review.
- What You Will Learn section provides chapter objectives for the readers to aid in their navigation through the chapters.
- Over 100 NCLEX„¥ examination-style review questions have been moved to the ends of chapters to immediately test student knowledge.
Part I Calculations
1. Mathematics Review
2. Systems of Measurement
3. Temperature Conversion
Part II Drug Administration
4. General Principles of Medication Administration
5. Measurement and Administration of Oral Medications
6. Intramuscular Drugs
7. Preparation and Administration of Powders
8. Administration of Subcutaneous and Intradermal Drugs
9. Measurement and Administration of Topical Medications
10. Eye, Ear, and Nose Medications
11. Administration of Rectal and Vaginal Medications
Part III Intravenous Administration
12. Intravenous Therapy
13. Intravenous Additives
Part IV Special Topics
14. Special Medications and Routes
15. Medications for Infants and Children
16. Advanced Care
17. Technology Associated with Drug Administration