Video 12 from the Jarvis Physical Examination and Health Assessment Video Series begins with an anatomical review of a woman’s external and internal genitalia, anus, and rectum. It describes critical preparation steps for this sensitive examination, including how to perform a mirror pelvic exam. Then it demonstrates how to inspect and palpate the external and internal genitalia, collect cervical smears and cultures, and perform a bimanual examination. It concludes with assessment of the perianal region and techniques to perform the rectovaginal examination.
- Bonus materials include:
- Health history topics about the genitourinary tract and lower GI tract
- A list of equipment for examining the female genitalia, anus, and rectum
- One cross-cultural scene about pubic hair development in different populations
- Four developmental scenes about pubic hair development in adolescence, genitalia variations in newborns, cervical os changes with parity, and cervical changes in pregnancy and menopause
- One health promotion scenario about the mirror pelvic exam
- A list of patient-teaching topics, ranging from cervical cancer prevention to effective contraception