LaFleur Brooks' Health Unit Coordinating,6th Edition
Page Count: 656
List Price: $77.95
With all of the practical knowledge, skills, and applications you need in today’s health unit environment, this completely updated 6th edition of LAFLEUR BROOKS' HEALTH UNIT COORDINATING gives you everything you need to succeed. It reflects the latest advances in the field, including the electronic medical record, as well as new photos and illustrations that bring concepts to life. Plus, you’ll understand everything from communications skills to procedures through activities such as Abbreviation Exercises, Review Questions, Scenarios, and more.
- Chapter Outlines introduce the topics for each chapter, and Chapter Objectives provide goals you should achieve by the end of the chapter.
- Abbreviation Exercises accompanying the abbreviation list for each chapter provide an opportunity to practice and become familiar with the abbreviations you need to know.
- Test your knowledge of what you’ve learned with Review Questions at the end of each chapter.
- Think About topics test your ability to problem solve with situations you might encounter in practice.
- Thought-provoking Scenarios present realistic situations to help you learn the role and responsibilities of health unit coordinators and prepare for conflicts that can occur on the job.
- Take Note boxes reinforce key information from the chapter with summaries and new information to help you better understand the material.
- Doctors’ Orders show real examples of doctors’ orders with explanations and interpretations to help you prepare for situations in practice.
- UNIQUE! Electronic medical record with computer physician order entry information throughout the book keep you informed on the latest technological advances in the field and prepare you for practice.
- New and updated illustrations and photos provide realistic pictures of actual equipment to increase your understanding of the content.
- Additional "bad" handwriting examples help you decipher all kinds of handwriting.
- Information on alternative therapies for treating illness, holistic nursing, and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations keeps you current with the latest information in the field.
Section 1. Orientation to Hospitals, Medical Centers, and Health Care
1. Health Unit Coordinating: An Allied Health Career
2. Overview of Health Care Today
3. The Nursing Department
4. Communication Devices and Their Uses
Section 2. Personal and Professional Skills
5. Communication and Interpersonal Skills
6. Workplace Behavior: Ethics and Legal Concepts
7. Management Techniques and Problem-Solving Skills for Health Unit Coordinating
Section 3. The Patient’s Chart or Electronic Record and Transcription and Monitoring of Doctors’ Orders
8. The Patient’s Chart or Electronic Medical Record
9. Transcription of Doctors’ Handwritten Orders
10. Patient Activity, Patient Positioning, and Nursing Observation Orders
11. Nursing Intervention or Treatment Orders
12. Nutritional Care Orders
13. Medication Orders
14. Laboratory Orders and Recording Telephoned Laboratory Results
15. Diagnostic Imaging Orders
16. Other Diagnostic Studies
17. Treatment Orders
18. Miscellaneous Orders
Section 4. Health Unit Coordinator Procedures
19. Admission, Preoperative, and Postoperative Procedures
20. Discharge, Transfer, and Postmortem Procedures
21. Recording Vital Signs, Ordering Supplies, Daily Diagnostic Tests, and Filing
22. Reports, Infection Control, Emergencies, and Special Services
Section 5. Introduction to Anatomic Structures, Medical Terms, and Illnesses
23. Medical Terminology, Basic Human Structure, and Disorders
B. Word Parts
Answers to Review Questions
Elaine A. Gillingham, AAS, BA, CHUC, Program Director (Retired), Health Unit Coordinator Program, GateWay Community College, Phoenix, AZ and Monica Wadsworth Seibel, BS, MEd, CHUC, Program Director, Health Unit Coordinator Program, GateWay Community College, Phoenix, AZ