Page Count: 544
List Price: $39.95
Success in Practical/Vocational Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 6th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Page Count: 544
List Price: $39.95
Part of the LPN Threads series, this market-leading text helps students develop the practical knowledge and problem-solving skills they need for a successful career as an LPN/LVN.
- UNIQUE! 1-2-3 approach in a clear, simple, engaging writing style instructs you in what you need to do and how to do it.
- UNIQUE! Learning Exercises challenge you to imagine, visualize, and think outside the box.
- UNIQUE! Leadership Activities provide exercises to practice and develop leadership skills and Leadership Hints provide helpful pointers to follow and remember when in various leadership situations.
- UNIQUE! Management Tools and Management Hints provide practical instructions, resources, and tips to use when in a management situation.
- UNIQUE! Offers time-management tips to help prioritize.
- Integrates wellness and personal care throughout the text, including information and coping skills for stress management and burnout, nutrition and exercise, the impaired nurse, and co-dependency.
- Includes separate chapters on “Ethics Apply to Nursing” and “Nursing and the Law” that address pertinent legal and ethical issues that directly and indirectly affect LPN/LVNs.
- Features information on Medicare and the many changes that affect health care, including health care settings, medication coverage, and the costs of managed care.
- Includes a separate chapter on learning strategies for the adult student and updated approaches for traditional and returning students.
- A separate chapter on critical thinking and many critical thinking exercises promotes the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills in both academic and personal situations.
- Includes updated State Boards of Nursing and Internet Resources Appendixes with the most up-to-date addresses for nursing boards and website addresses for nursing, medical, and health-related information as an all-in-one ready resource for you as you prepare to enter the work world.
- UNIQUE! Keep In Mind boxes located in each chapter introduce readers to the underlying theme in the chapter.
- UNIQUE! Evolve Student Resources includes 230 NCLEX Exam-Style Interactive Questions per chapter, with correct response and rationales for both correct and incorrect responses, to encourage self-study and review.
- UNIQUE! The “Learning During School, for the NCLEX-PN, and Beyond” chapter includes new content on the role of simulation in nursing education and etiquette for electronic device use, such as cell phones and iPods.
- UNIQUE! The “Personal Health Promotion” chapter helps you provide a positive role model for patients with new content on MyPyramid, the benefits of exercise, personal steps to help prevent hospital-acquired infections, burnout versus stress, and tips for personal safety.
- UNIQUE! Culture content has been expanded content addressing the growing needs of patient care for special populations and to help students develop cultural sensitivity.
- Includes the latest protocols from NAPNES regarding standards of practice and educational competencies that LPN/LVN nursing students need to know.
UNIT ONE: PASSING THE NCLEX-PN®
Chapter1 The Adult Learner and the Practical/Vocational Nursing Program
Chapter 2 Developing a Successful Learning Style
Chapter 3 Time Management: Using a Limited Resource Wisely
Chapter 4 Methods and Skills Used in Learning
Chapter 5 Learning During School, for the NCLEX-PN®, and Beyond
Chapter 6 Critical Thinking and Patient Care
UNIT TWO: BUILDING BLOCKS FOR YOUR CAREER
Chapter 7 How Practical/Vocational Nursing Evolved
Chapter 8 Nursing Process: Your Role
Chapter 9 Straightforward Communication
Chapter10 Personal Health Promotion
UNIT THREE: PATIENTS AND CO-WORKERS
CHAPTER 11 THE HEALTH CARE TEAM
CHAPTER 12 CULTURAL UNIQUENESS, SENSITIVITY, AND COMPETENCE
Chapter 13 Spiritual Needs, Spiritual Caring, and Religious Differences
UNIT FOUR: LEADING AND MANAGING OTHERS
Chapter 14 Assertiveness: Your Responsibility
Chapter 15 Leadership Skills
Chapter 16 LPN/LVN Charge Nurse Skills: Management, Including Assignment and Delegation
UNIT 5: HEALTH CARE ENVIRONMENT: BASIC ELEMENTS
Chapter 17 Health Care Settings
Chapter 18 Health Care System: Financing, Issues, and Trends
Chapter 19 Ethics Applied to Nursing
Chapter 20 Nursing and the Law
UNIT 6: END AND A NEW BEGINNING
Chapter 21 Finding a Job
Chapter 22 The NCLEX-PN® Examination
Chapter 23 How to Make Your Career Grow
Appendix A: State Boards of Nursing
Appendix B: NAPNES Standards of Practice and Educational Competencies of Graduates of Practical/Vocational Nursing Programs
Appendix C: NFLPN Nursing Practice Standards for the Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse
Appendix D: Learning Exercises for the Organizationally Challenged
Appendix E: Internet Resources
Appendix F: The Howlett Style of Nursing Leadership
Appendix G: Delegation: Concepts and Decision-Making Process (NCSBN) Grow
Signe S. Hill, RN, BSN, MA, Formerly Instructor, Practical Nursing Program, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Green Bay, WI and Helen Howlett