Pocket Guide to Musculoskeletal Assessment - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 2nd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Page Count: 288
List Price: $58.95
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
Providing a handy framework for conducting efficient and organized patient assessments, the second edition of this practical guide includes even more special tests, treatment options, and resources to help readers perform thorough and efficient musculoskeletal assessments of patients. Its small size and lay-flat spiral binding make it easy to refer to during actual patient treatment, and graduated tabs marking the location of each chapter and appendix make it convenient to find information quickly. Organized in an outline format, each of the 15 chapters includes an overview of subjective and objective examination topics for a specific body region or system, followed by a quick reference table of special tests and treatment options. A mini CD offers 35 video clips of common tests. A web launcher provides easy access to every special test discussed in the book.
- Chapters are written in an outline format so readers can quickly find the information they need.
- Examination outlines utilize the "subjective" and "objective" portions of the traditional SOAPG note format —making the guide accessible to any health professional who performs musculoskeletal assessment.
- Special tests and treatment options are presented in tables, providing succinct, up-to-date information on the most common tests and treatment options.
- The convenient pocket size and lay-flat, spiral binding provides increased portability and usefulness.
- The extensive appendices of assessment tools and resources provide additional options for patient assessment.
- A companion CD-ROM features video presentations of thirty-five special tests plus internet access to additional video presentations of tests discussed in the book.
- The addition of many new special tests include Scapular pinch, O'Brein's, Pain provocation, Anterior/Posterior load and shift, Biceps load, Posterior impingement sign, and Anterior slide tests; TFCC load, Piano key, and Watson/radial stress tests; Hop and fulcrum tests; and Swain test.
- New and updated treatment options include a description of neuromuscular training exercises for shoulder conditions, a new treatment for finger injuries, mobilization and manipulation treatment options for the thoracic and lumbar spine, Femoral shaft stress fracture and Osteitis pubis for the hip, and Perturbation training for ACL deficient knees.
- Expanded resources include the Glasgow coma scale, information on blister care, the McGill Pain Questionnaire, Physical Therapy Preferred Practice Patterns, the UCLA Shoulder Scale, Modified Oswestry Low Back Pain Disability Questionnaire, and the 2000 IKDC Subjective Knee Evaluation Form.
1. Cervical Spine
4. Wrist and Hand
5. Thoracic Spine
6. Lumbar Spine
9. Foot and Ankle
10. Respiratory Evaluation
11. Inpatient Physical Therapy Cardiac Evaluation
12. Lower Extremity Amputee Evaluation
13. Neurologic Evaluation
14. Inpatient Orthopedic Evaluation
D. Normal Range of Motion
E. Ligament Laxity Grading Scale
F. Capsular Pattern and Closed Back Positions for Selected Joints
G. Blister Care
H. Brachial Plexus Diagram
I. McGill Pain Questionnaire
K. Physical Agent and Modalities
L. Types of Traction
M. Normal Values for Commonly Encountered Laboratory Results
N. Physical Therapy Preferred Practice Patterns
O. Abbreviations and Definitions
Richard E. Baxter, PT, DSC, OCS, ATC, Physical Therapist, United States Army, Major