Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books.
The new edition of Fundamentals of Nursing gives you complete coverage of the nursing principles, concepts, and skills that form the foundation of a solid nursing education. This engaging text features streamlined procedures that focus on the essential information you need to know to provide safe and effective care. Each clinical chapter begins with a case study and an overview of key nursing diagnoses, and then assessment, planning, interventions, and evaluation are presented within the context of that case study and those key diagnoses. A new Companion CD provides a variety of activities and review questions to help you master important concepts.
- Key nursing diagnoses are introduced at the beginning of each clinical chapter and serve as the focus for assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Nursing Process Framework for all clinical chapters provides a consistent, logical organization for nursing care.
- Case studies introduce a patient in each clinical chapter and revisit that patient's case throughout the chapter, using it as an example in the nursing care plan.
- Streamlined procedures help you focus on the most essential information for providing safe care - including key steps with rationales, Time to Allow estimates, delegation considerations, equipment needed, safety issues, and home care and age-related considerations as appropriate.
- Cross-Cultural Care boxes, based on the client in the case study, include important cultural background information to help you provide culturally sensitive care.
- Nursing Care Plans boxes, tied to the chapter case study, include NANDA diagnoses, NOC Expected Outcomes with indicators, NIC Interventions with selected activities and critical thinking questions.
- Comprehensive coverage includes topics not usually covered in other fundamentals texts, such as Vulnerability, The Caregiver Role, The Client with Functional Limitations, and Anxiety.
- A Patient's Perspective boxes give you a glimpse into the client's perception of the experience of illness.
- Considering the Alternatives boxes provide an overview of alternative and complementary therapies that you might explore with your clients, including advantages and potential risks for each.
- Action Alerts highlight situations that require immediate nursing action.
- Clustering Data to Make a Nursing Diagnosis tables present brief patient scenarios and illustrate how to develop appropriate nursing diagnoses.
- Decision Trees show you how to work through decisions when differentiating between closely related nursing diagnoses.
- Teaching for Wellness and Teaching for Self-Care boxes summarize health-promotion and health-restoration teaching in client-oriented language so you can easily communicate key points to your clients.
- Clinical chapters are grouped into units that correspond with Gordon's functional health patterns.
- Companion CD packaged FREE with the book includes student activities, NCLEX® examination-style review questions, an audio glossary, interactive Body Spectrum anatomy and physiology program, and skills video clips.
- NCLEX® examination-style review questions at the end of each chapter help you assess your knowledge of the material.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes highlight research findings and applications for specific clinical problems so you can clearly see how research affects practice.
- Safety Issues added to appropriate skills reflect JCAHO's increased focus on safe patient care and prepare students for safe practice.
- An expanded unit on Growth & Development includes broader coverage of the older adult to help you understand the unique needs of older clients.
- Older Adults boxes emphasize important information necessary for providing appropriate care to this growing patient population.
- Case studies include photographs of patients to help bring these clinical situations to life.
- Icons in selected skills in the text direct you to the new Evolve® resources or CD Companion, where you can watch relatedvideo clips from Mosby's Nursing Skills Videos.
- Skills in the text that are supported by the Nursing Skills Online interactive course direct you to the appropriate NSO lesson number, connecting your textbook to online review and evaluation.
UNIT 1 The Social Context of Nursing
1. The Nursing Profession
2. The Legal and Ethical Context of Practice
3. The Cultural Context of Practice
4. The Health Care Delivery System
UNIT 2 A Framework for Nursing Practice
5. Caring and Clinical Judgment
6. Client Assessment
7. Assessing Vital Signs
8. Physical Assessment
9. Making a Nursing Diagnosis
10. Planning, Intervening and Evaluating Care
11. Documenting Care
UNIT 3 The Tools of Practice
12. The Nurse-Client Relationship
13. Client Teaching
14. Managing Client Care
15. Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research
UNIT 4 The Well Client Across the Life Span
16. Infancy Through School-Age
17. Adolescents and Young Adults
18. Middle and Older Adult New!!
UNIT 5 Health Perception – Health Management Pattern
19. Health Perception
20. Health Maintenance: Lifestyle Management
21. Health Maintenance: Medication Management
22. Health Protection: Risk for Infection
23. Health Protection: Risk for Injury
UNIT 6 Nutritional – Metabolic Pattern
24. Promoting Nutrition
25. Restoring Nutrition
26. Maintaining Fluid and Electrolyte Balance
27. Promoting Wound Healing
28. Body Temperature
UNIT 7 Elimination Pattern
29. Managing Bowel Elimination
30. Managing Urinary Elimination
UNIT 8 Activity – Exercise Pattern
31. Managing Self-Care Deficit
32. Restoring Physical Mobility
33. Preventing Disuse Syndrome
34. Supporting Respiratory Function
35. Supporting Cardiovascular Function
UNIT 9 Sleep – Rest Pattern
36. Managing Sleep and Rest
UNIT 10 Cognitive – Perceptual Pattern
37. Managing Pain
38. Supporting Sensory/Perceptual Function
39. Supporting Verbal Communication
40. Managing Confusion
UNIT 11 Self-Perception – Self-Concept Pattern
41. Promoting Self-Concept
42. Managing Anxiety
43. Managing Vulnerability
UNIT 12 Role – Relationship Pattern
44. Managing Functional Limitations
45. Managing Loss
UNIT 13 Sexuality – Reproduction Pattern
46. Maintaining Sexual Health
UNIT 14 Coping – Stress – Tolerance Pattern
47. Supporting Stress Tolerance and Coping
48. Supporting Family Coping
UNIT 15 Value – Belief Pattern
49. Supporting Spirituality
UNIT 16 The Surgical Client
50. The Surgical Client