Community-Based Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Page Count: 480
List Price: $59.95
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
Health promotion and illness prevention are the focus of this text designed to address the unique aspects of community-based nursing. Principles for community-based healthcare for the major population groups across the lifespan help you provide the best care for all of your clients. Common community settings, nursing roles, and interventions are explored. Be prepared for a wide range of situations with key topics such as environmental health, epidemiology, and communicable disease.
- Case studies that detail “real-life” clinical examples introduce each chapter.
- Learning Activities and Application to Practice exercises provide opportunities to apply learning and gain deeper understanding.
- Community Application boxes detail specific examples of the relevance of content to community-based nurses.
- Research Highlights, Health Teaching boxes, Healthy People 2010 boxes and other special features highlight key information for better understanding.
- Student Learning Resources on the companion Evolve website include helpful web links, a glossary, and assessment tools.
- Disaster content focuses on the nurse’s role in both natural and man-made disasters, emphasizing preparedness and management.
- Culturally based health beliefs and practices are examined.
- Education and Health Teaching chapter provides processes, methods and tools to assist nurses in educating clients.
- Case Management chapter addresses the important skill of coordinating client care and services in the community.
- Updated information on current community issues, including childhood obesity, emerging infectious diseases (including SARS), telehealth, and refugees/evacuees/displaced people.
Unit 1: Foundations of Community-Based Nursing Practice
1. Opportunities in Community-Based Nursing Practice
2. Roles and Interventions in Community-Based Nursing Practice
3. Client Education and Health Teaching NEW!
4. Case Management NEW!
Unit 2: Factors that Influence Health and Health Care
5. Overview of the Health Care Delivery System
7. Environmental Health Issues
8. Cultural Influences on Health
9. Natural and Man-made Disasters NEW!
Unit 3: Settings for Community-Based Care
10. Nursing Care in Ambulatory Settings
11. Home Health Care Nursing
Unit 4: Community-Based Nursing Care Across the Life Span
12. Health Promotion and Illness Prevention for Infants, Children, and Adolescents
13. Health Promotion and Illness Prevention for Adults
14. Issues in Women’s Health Care
15. Health Promotion and Illness Prevention for Elders
16. Health Promotion and Illness Prevention for Families
Unit 5: Nursing Care of Clients with Special Needs in Community Settings
17. Vulnerable Groups
18. Mental Health Issues
19. Communicable Disease: Prevention and Intervention
Melanie McEwen, PhD, RN, Associate Professor, School of Nursing, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX and Bridgette Pullis, PhD, RN, Assistant Professor University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston School of Nursing