Get the real-life practice you need to prepare for a successful career! Designed to support Fordney’s Insurance Handbook for the Medical Office, 11th Edition, this workbook parallels the material in the textbook, and provides realistic, hands-on exercises that help you apply concepts and develop important critical-thinking skills. A companion Evolve website includes patient simulations for additional practice in real-world billing.
- Online Student Software Challenge contains 10 patient cases that you can use to complete the CMS-1500 claim form.
- Self-study review exercises include matching, true/false, multiple-choice, and fill-in-the-blank questions to help you remember important material.
- Critical-thinking assignments help you apply theory to practice, using short, real-world scenarios to prepare you for working in today’s medical office.
- Key Terms and Key Abbreviations provide a quick reference to the insurance terminology you need to know.
- A study outline and performance objectives focus your review and ensure that you meet expected outcomes.
- Evolve resources include Student Software Challenge, online activities, and web links for further research and study.
- Learning objectives are reorganized to more closely follow the material in the textbook and the workbook, making it easier to study.
- New CMS-1500 software helps you complete exercises and practice skills quickly and easily.
Unit One: Career Roles and Responsibilities
1. Role of an Insurance Billing Specialist
2. HIPAA Compliance and Privacy in Insurance Billing
Unit Two: The Claims Process
3. Basics of Health Insurance
4. Medical Documentation
5. Diagnostic Coding
6. Procedural Coding
7. The Paper Claim: CMS-1500 (08-05)
8. Electronic Data Interchange: Transactions and Security
9. Receiving Payments and Insurance Problem Solving
10. Office and Insurance Collection Strategies
Unit Three: Health Care Payers
11. The Blue Plans, Private Insurance and Managed Care Plans
13. Medicaid and Other State Programs
14. TRICARE and CHAMPVA
15. Workers’ Compensation
16. Disability Income Insurance and Disability Benefit Programs
Unit Four: Inpatient and Outpatient Billing
17. Hospital Billing
Unit Five: Employment
18. Seeking a Job and Attaining Professional Advancement