Mosby's Pharmacy Technician,3rd Edition
Take your first step toward a successful career as a pharmacy technician with Mosby's Pharmacy Technician: Principles and Practice, 3rd Edition. This comprehensive text makes essential skills and concepts approachable and easy to understand with clear writing, expert insight, and engaging study tools. Ensure success in class and in your future career with a fundamental understanding of basic sciences, the role of the pharmacy technician in the pharmacy setting, medication safety, drug classifications, and more!
- Complete coverage of community and institutional pharmacy practice settings helps you understand your valuable role as a pharmacy technician.
- A&P content helps you understand how drugs work in the human body.
- Comprehensive drug tables provide fast, easy access to essential pharmaceutical facts.
- Tech Notes and Tech Alerts highlight steps you can take to enhance efficiency and avoid common errors on the job.
- Pharmacist's Perspective boxes provide practical insight on common scenarios you'll encounter in practice.
- Technician's Corner boxes challenge you to apply your critical thinking skills to chapter content.
- Abbreviated drug monographs familiarize you with essential pharmaceutical data for common drugs:
- Generic/trade names
- Route of administration
- Common dosage
- Side effects
- Auxiliary label
- Medication Safety and Error Prevention chapter helps you confidently address growing concerns related to patient safety and prevent medication-related errors.
- Revised Math Calculations chapter incorporates helpful information to clarify complex pharmaceutical calculations.
- Updated content prepares you for the Pharmacy Technician Certification (PTC) exam and highlights current concerns you'll encounter in the workforce:
- HIPAA regulations
- The Medicare Modernization Act
- Legal parameters for the sale of pseudoephedrine products
- The issuance of multiple Schedule II prescriptions
- Pending legislation requirements for Medicaid prescriptions
- The United States Pharmacopeia (USP)
- New full-color photographs familiarize you with current practice settings.
- Learning games and certification review quizzes on the companion Evolve website reinforce your understanding and challenge you to apply what you've learned.
Section One: General Pharmacy
- History of Medicine and Pharmacy
- Laws and Ethics of Pharmacy
- Pharmacy Associations, certification, and Settings for Technicians/Competency, Communication, and Ethics
- Conversions and Calculations Used by Pharmacy Technicians and Math Review
- Dosage Forms, Abbreviations, and Routes of Administration
- Prescription Processing
- Over the Counter Medication and Skin Anatomy
- Complementary Alternative Medications
- Hospital Pharmacy
- Repackaging and Compounding
- Aseptic Technique
- Pharmacy Stock and Billing
- Medication Safety and Error Prevention
- Endocrine System
- Nervous System
- Respiratory System
- Visual and Auditory Systems
- Gastrointestinal System
- Urinary System
- Cardiovascular System
- Reproductive System
- Anti-inflammatories and Antihistamines
- Vitamins and Minerals
- Oncology Agents
- Review for Pharmacy Technician Certification
Section Two: Body Systems
Section Three: Classifications of Drugs
Section Four: Basic Science for the Pharmacy Technician
Section Five: Starting Your Career as a Pharmacy Technician
B. 200 Top Selling Trade Names for Drugs
C. Top Herbal Remedies
D. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act if 1996 (HIPPA)
E. Proper Hand Care for Medical Asepsis in Pharmacy
Answer Key to Odd-Numbered Review Exercises
Teresa Hopper, BS, CPhT, Instructor of Pharmacy Technology, Boston Reed College, Napa, CA