Community Oral Health Practice for the Dental Hygienist, 3rd Edition
- Comprehensive, cutting-edge content delivers everything you need to know to succeed in practice.
- Test-taking strategies help you confidently prepare for the community oral health portion of the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE).
- Up-to-date information on national initiatives details the goals and guidelines of various government programs.
- ADEA Dental Hygiene Competencies included at the end of each chapter highlight expectations you'll encounter as you enter the workforce.
- Dental Hygienist Mini-Profiles provide real-world perspectives to help you prepare for practice and plan your career.
- Applying Your Knowledge sections suggest ways you can begin improving oral health in your community.
- Guiding principles, learning objectives, vocabulary terms, and chapter summaries help you study more efficiently and reinforce your understanding of the most important concepts.
- Expanded Community Cases on the companion Evolve website test your ability to apply your knowledge to common scenarios you may encounter as a dental hygienist.
- UNIQUE! Healthy People 2020 Objectives give you a competitive edge with the most up-to-date science-based guidelines for promoting health and preventing disease.
- New chapter on Planning a Student Community Oral Health Project helps you confidently move from the classroom into the community and apply what you've learned to improve oral health care.
- Content updates keep you current on timely issues such as access to care, expanded career opportunities, caries risk assessment, fluoride and sealants, social responsibility and justice, and cultural competence.
1. People's Health
2. Careers in Public Health for the Dental Hygienist
3. Assessment in the Community
4. Measuring Progress in Oral Health
5. Population Oral Health
6. Oral Health Programs in the Community
8. Health Promotion and Health Communication
9. Social Responsibility
10. Cultural Competency
12. Planning a Student Oral Health Community Project
13. Test Taking Strategies and Community Cases
Appendix A Website/Community Resource List
Appendix B Dental Hygiene Competencies
Appendix C Community Partnerships for Oral Health
Appendix D Resources for Community Health Assessment
Appendix E Selected Oral Conditions and Factors Influencing Oral Health That Can Be Assessed in Oral Health Surveys
Kathy Voigt Geurink, RDH, MA, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Dental Hygiene, School of Health Professions, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX