Drain's PeriAnesthesia Nursing, 6th Edition
Drain's Perianesthesia Nursing: A Critical Care Approach, 6th Edition is the most comprehensive book on the market specifically tailored to perianesthesia nurses. The book features five distinct sections – the PACU, anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, nursing care, and special considerations. Nursing and pharmacologic interventions are integrated with in-depth coverage of pathophysiology. This edition expands coverage of evidence based research and adds a new chapter on care of the obese patient undergoing bariatric surgery. Written by Jan Odom-Forren, an expert in the anesthesia and post-operative fields, Drain's Perianesthesia Nursing is also an excellent study tool for ASPAN certification.
- Five separate sections provide coverage including the PACU, anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, nursing care, and special considerations.
- An overview of essential PACU concepts section covers issues such as patient safety, evidence-based research, and legal/ethical considerations
- Anatomy and physiology chapters cover physiologic considerations for each body system
- Pharmacology chapters cover basic principles as well as types of anesthetic agents such as intravenous anesthetics and regional anesthesia, including the physiology of action and the appropriate nursing interventions to prepare you for common situations in the PACU.
- Nursing care chapters cover assessment, patient education, complications, pain management, and care of specialty-surgery patients.
- A section on special considerations covers the care of patients of different ages and those with conditions such as malignant hyperthermia, substance abuse, and cardiac arrest.
- Coverage of current policies and issues affecting perianesthesia nursing practice includes patient safety, infection control, managed care implications, pain management, and bioterrorism.
- Nursing and pharmacologic interventions are integrated with in-depth coverage of pathophysiology for a comprehensive look at disease and treatment.
- NEW Evidence Based Research boxes are added to all the chapters in Section IV and Section V.
- NEW! Care of the Obese Patient Undergoing Bariatric Surgery chapter discusses the challenges that weight-loss surgery presents to the patient and perianesthesia nurse.
- Streamlined format includes an overview, chapter summary, and references for each chapter.
- More than 275 illustrations show key concepts and principles of care.
- Updated The Changing Health Care System and Its Implications for the PACU chapter includes content on healthcare reform.
- Revised Patient Safety and Legal Issues in the PACU chapter includes content on patient safety.
- Expanded Evidence-based Practice and Research and Bioterrorism and Its Impact on the PACU chapters include coverage of new developments and practices.
Section I: The Postanesthesia Care Unit 1. Space Planning and Basic Equipment Systems 2. Perianesthesia Nursing as a Specialty 3. Management and Policies 4. Crisis Resource Management in the PACU 5. Infection Prevention and Control in the PACU
6. The Changing Health Care System and Its Implications for the PACU 7. Patient Safety and Legal Issues in the PACU
8. Ethics in Perianesthesia Nursing
9. Evidence-based Practice and Research Section II: Physiologic Considerations in the PACU 10. The Nervous System 11. The Cardiovascular System 12. The Respiratory System 13. The Renal System 14. Fluid and Electrolytes 15. The Endocrine System 16. The Hepatobiliary and Gastrointestinal System 17. The Integumentary System 18. The Immune System Section III: Concepts in Anesthetic Agents 19. Basic Principles of Pharmacology 20. Inhalation Anesthesia 21. Nonopioid Intravenous Anesthetics 22. Opioid Intravenous Anesthetics 23. Neuromuscular Blocking Agents 24. Local Anesthetics 25. Regional Anesthesia Section IV: Nursing Care in the PACU 26. Transition from the Operating Room to the PACU 27. Assessment and Monitoring of the Perianesthesia Patient 28. Patient Education and Care of the Perianesthesia Patient 29. Postanesthesia Care Complications 30. Assessment and Management of the Airway 31. Pain Management 32. Care of the Ear, Nose, Throat, Neck, and Maxillofacial Surgical Patient 33. Care of the Ophthalmic Surgical Patient 34. Care of the Thoracic Surgical Patient 35. Care of the Cardiac Surgical Patient 36. Care of the Vascular Surgical Patient 37. Care of the Orthopedic Surgical Patient 38. Care of the Neurosurgical Patient 39. Care of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgical Patient 40. Care of the Gastrointestinal, Abdominal, and Anorectal Surgical Patient 41. Care of the Genitourinary Surgical Patient 42. Care of the Obstetric and Gynecological Surgical Patient 43. Care of the Breast Surgical Patient 44. Care of the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgical Patient 45. Care of the Obese Patient Undergoing Bariatric Surgery 46. Care of the Ambulatory Surgical Patient 47. Care of the Laser/Laparoscopic Surgical Patient Section V: Special Considerations 48. Care of the Patient with Chronic Disorders 49. Care of the Pediatric Patient 50. Care of the Older Patient 51. Care of the Pregnant Patient 52. Care of the Substance Using Patient 53. Care of the Patient with Thermal Imbalance 54. Care of the Shock Trauma Patient
55. Care of the Intensive Care Unit Patient in the PACU 56. Bioterrorism and Its Impact on the PACU 57. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in the PACU
Jan Odom-Forren, MS, RN, PhD, CPAN, FAAN, Perianesthesia / Perioperative Consultant, Co-Editor, Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing, Louisville, KY