The first book in the field written expressly for veterinary technicians by leaders in the field, Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care, 2nd Edition is efficiently organized for quick access to dozens of common, life-saving protocols and procedures. Section I includes chapters on assessment, equipment, and therapies and techniques. Every procedure is thoroughly illustrated and described in step-by-step detail with important drug information. Section II addresses specific systemic problems such as hematologic, cardiovascular, and gastrointestinal emergencies; shock; and trauma. Total team management of the critical patient is emphasized throughout.
- Logically organized by physiologic sign to help busy practitioners prioritize interventions
- Helpful equipment lists are provided at the beginning of most chapters.
- Technician Tips highlight specific procedures using diagrams, photos, and detailed instructions.
- New chapters cover isolation of the critically ill, infectious patient; client communication including triage, both in the waiting room and on the phone; and restraint techniques, sampling techniques, and common emergencies related to birds and exotics.
- Expanded Pain Management, Respiratory Emergencies, and Urologic Emergencies chapters include practical information on a wide variety of presenting problems.
- Expanded coverage of basic lab equipment, fluid therapy, and oxygen therapy provides the most current information.
Section One: Critically Ill Small Animals
1. The skill of observation and interpretation
2. Basic laboratory equipment
3. Patient’s lifeline
4. Fluid therapy
5. Small animal transfusion medicine
6. Nutritional support for the critically ill patient
7. Oxygen therapy techniques
8. Mechanical ventilation
9. Pain assessment and treatment
10. Anesthesia in the critically ill or injured patient
11. Isolating the critically ill small animal patient with infectious disease
Section Two: Emergency Care for Small Animals
12. Management of the shock patient
13. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation
15. Hematologic emergencies
16. Cardiovascular emergencies
17. Respiratory system emergencies
18. Gastrointestinal system emergencies
19. Metabolic and endocrine system emergencies
20. Urogenital system emergencies
21. Reproductive system emergencies
22. Ocular emergencies
23. Neurologic system emergencies
24. Toxicologic emergencies
25. Avian and exotic emergencies
26. Disaster medicine
Section Three: Practice Management
27. The art of scheduling
28. Risk management and the emergency veterinary technician