McCurnin's Clinical Textbook for Veterinary Technicians, 8th Edition
A fundamental text in the field of veterinary technology, McCurnin’s Clinical Textbook for Veterinary Technicians, 8th Edition has the trusted content, simplified layout, and novel study tools every Vet Tech needs. Sections on small and large animals, birds, reptiles, and small mammals embrace every aspect of the veterinary field, while case presentations of actual patient situations link information to relevant, real-life scenarios. This color-coded, fully illustrated guide will give you a leg up in the constantly evolving Vet Tech field.
- Full color photos bring concepts to life and emphasize the role of the vet tech.
- Vet Tech Threads offer helpful pedagogical aids such as introductions, suggested readings, boxed Technician Notes, learning objectives, chapter outlines and key terms.
- Large animal care integrated throughout the book with medical records, dentistry, physical examination, surgical instrumentation, and more.
- Step-by-step instructions and photographs makes information readily accessible in emergency and clinical situations.
- A companion workbook is available separately to help you master and apply key concepts and procedures with multiple choice questions, matching exercises, photo quizzes, labeling exercises, crossword puzzles, and more.
- Birds, reptiles, and small mammals chapter keeps you up-to-date with care and treatment for these increasingly popular pets.
- Chapters on pharmacology, pain management, restraint, and veterinary oncology offer a broader understanding of the responsibilities of a technician.
- NEW! Chapter on fluid therapy and transfusion medicine, a critical aspect of veterinary technology.
- NEW! Introduction to the concept of the Technician Practice Model ensures that excellent nursing care is provided to each and every patient.
- NEW! Added content on electrocardiography included in the Emergency Nursing chapter.
Module One: Veterinary Technology: An Overview
- Introduction to Veterinary Technology: Its Laws and Ethics
- Veterinary Practice Management
- Written and Digital Medical Records
- Occupational Health and Safety in Veterinary Hospitals
- Animal Behavior
- Restraint and Handling of Animals
- History and Physical Examination
- Preventive Health Programs
- Companion Animal Nutrition
- Large Animal Nutrition
- Animal Reproduction
- Hematology, Cytology
- Clinical Chemistry, Serology and Urinalysis
- Clinical Microbiology
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Basic Necropsy Procedures
- Diagnostic Sampling and Treatment Techniques
- Small Animal Medical Nursing
- Large Animal Medical Nursing
- Neonatal Care of Puppy, Kitten, and Foal
- Care of Birds, Reptiles and Small Mammals
- Physical Therapy, Rehabilitation, and Alternative Medical Nursing
- Fluid Therapy and Transfusion Medicine
- Emergency & Critical Care Nursing
- Wound Management and Bandaging
- Pharmacology and Pharmacy
- Pain Management
- Veterinary Anesthesia
- Surgical instruments and Aseptic Technique
- Surgical Assistance and Suture Material
- Small Animal Surgical Nursing
- Large Animal Surgical Nursing
- Veterinary Dentistry
- Geriatric and Hospice Care: Supporting the Aged and Dying Patient
- The Human Animal Bond and Euthanasia
Module Two: Patient Management and Nutrition
Module Three: Clinical Sciences
Module Four: Medical Nursing
Module Five: Emergency and Critical Care
Module Six: Anesthesia, Analgesia and Pharmacology
Module Seven: Surgical Nursing
Module Eight: End of Life
Joanna M. Bassert, VMD, Professor and Director, Program of Veterinary Technology, Manor College, Jenkintown, PA and John Thomas, DVM, Assistant Professor, Veterinary Technology, Cuyahoga Community College, Cleveland, OH