Sonography - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
Gain a firm understanding of normal anatomy and physiology from a sonographic perspective! Sonography: Introduction to Normal Structure and Function, 3rd Edition shows normal anatomy as it appears during scanning, with labeled drawings explaining what you should notice. With this knowledge, you will be able to accurately identify sonographic pathology and abnormalities. Over 1,200 illustrations include the latest and best images from the newest ultrasound equipment, including 3D and 4D images. Written by expert educators Reva Curry and Betty Tempkin, this book provides complete preparation for the challenges you'll encounter in the clinical environment.
- Over 1,200 images provide a thorough, visual understanding of sonography.
- Detailed, labeled line drawings accompany most sonograms to highlight and outline the anatomic structures that are visible in the image.
- Physiology background allows you to correlate images with physiologic processes and know which images need to be captured for the diagnosis of pathology.
- Sonographic appearance and applications sections help you develop skills in obtaining the correct images and knowing why those images are so important.
- Correlation with laboratory and other studies helps you connect your results with the total patient picture of disease analysis.
- A consistent emphasis on vasculature helps in the diagnosis of arterial disease.
- Introduction to Specialty Sonography section discusses important specialty areas such as neonatal brain, pediatric and adult echocardiography, and vascular technology.
- A companion workbook reinforces the textbook with exercises offering additional practice in identifying anatomical structures and applying knowledge. Sold separately.
- Thorough coverage of the newest ultrasound techniques includes:
- Upper extremity vascular imaging
- Neonatal hip and spine
- 3D and 4D imaging
- Female pelvis scanning
- Thoracocentesis and paracentesis
- Doppler techniques for fetal ductus venosus, aorta and MCA imaging
- Quality control protocol
- Scanning planes and sectional anatomy
- Sterile technique
- 80 new sonograms demonstrate the latest and best images from state-of-the-art ultrasound equipment, including 3D and 4D images.
- New Embryological Development chapter explains how the different body systems of a fetus develop.
- New Penis and Scrotum chapter provides the latest information on male reproductive scanning.
- Important clinical information such as universal precautions and knobology has been moved from the appendix into the main text.
- Definitions of key terms begin each chapter.
- Summary tables for structure location and measurements are included for easy reference.
Section I: Clinical Applications 1. Before and After the Ultrasound Examination 2. General Patient Care 3. Ultrasound Instrumentation and Processing 4. Your First Scanning Experience Section II: Sonographic Approach to Understanding Anatomy 5. Body Systems 6. Body Layers and Sectional Anatomy 7. Embryological Development NEW! Section III: Abdominal Sonography 8. The Abdominal Aorta 9. The Inferior Vena Cava 10. The Portal Venous System 11. Abdominal Vasculature 12. The Liver 13. The Biliary System 14. The Pancreas 15. The Urinary System 16. The Spleen 17. The Gastrointestinal System Section IV: Pelvic Sonography 18. The Male Pelvis 19. The Female Pelvis Section V: Obstetric Sonography 20. First Trimester 21. Second and Third Trimester 22. High-Risk Obstetrics Section VI: Superficial Sonography 23. Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands 24. Breast 25. Penis and Scrotum NEW! Section VII: Introduction to Specialty Sonography 26. Neonatal Brain 27. Pediatric Echocardiography 28. Adult Echocardiography 29. Vascular Technology Section VIII: Advances in Sonography 30. Three-Dimensional Ultrasound 31. Interventional and Intraoperative Sonography
Reva Arnez Curry, PhD, RDMS, RTR, FSDMS, Executive Director of Community Partnerships, H201 Stockton Center for Community Schools, School of Education, Richard Stockton College, Pomona, NJ and Betty Bates Tempkin, BA, Member, Board of Directors, Piedmont Virginia Community College, Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program, Charlottesville, VA; Ultrasound Consultant, Middlebrook, VA; Formerly, Clinical Director, Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program, Hillsborough Community College, Tampa, FL