Virtual Medical Office for Insurance Handbook for the Medical Office,12th Edition
Gain realistic experience in a physician's office without leaving the classroom! Virtual Medical Office combines your Fordney: Insurance Handbook for the Medical Office, 13th Edition textbook, a study guide, and online software to help you develop the critical thinking and decision-making skills you'll need on the job. With 15 virtual patient encounters, Virtual Medical Office begins each study guide lesson with a reading assignment from the text, and then provides exercises offering practice in coding procedures and diagnoses, filing insurance claims, troubleshooting rejected claims, catching common coding errors, evaluating the office's compliance with HIPAA, keeping the policy manual up to date, and much more. Virtual Medical Office provides a safe environment in which you can practice what you are learning in the text!
- 15 unique cases highlight CAAHEP and ABHES competencies with specific exercises relating to different payers, different billing situations, and common coding errors.
- More than two hours of video clips include five videos for each case: one at check-in, three in the exam room, and one at checkout..
- Realistic information resources include medical records for each case, an office policy manual, a fee schedule, a daysheet, and more.
- A study guide (available in print and on the companion Evolve website):
- Complements textbook content through lessons that correlate reading assignments with patients in the virtual practice.
- Promotes active learning as you collect information from a variety of sources to make coding and billing decisions.
- Encourages critical thinking as you discuss and troubleshoot the documentation of the medical records.
- Contains common coding errors that you must spot and correct, as in real practice.
- Augments knowledge of HIPAA by comparing the policy manual, the contents of each case's medical record, and what actually happens in the videos.
- Makes lessons available online, allowing you to complete assignments and submit them electronically to your instructor.
- A detailed office tour makes it easier to use the VMO software and the online study guide.
- Revised exercises and new activities include more objective questions and fewer open-ended questions.
Quick Office Tour
Detailed Office Tour
Lesson 1: Role of an Insurance Billing Specialist
Lesson 2: HIPAA Compliance and Privacy in Insurance Billing
Lesson 3: Basics of Health Insurance
Lesson 4: Medical Documentation
Lesson 5: Diagnostic Coding
Lesson 6: Procedural Coding
Lesson 7: The Paper Claim CMS-1500
Lesson 8: Electronic Data Interchange: Transactions and Security
Lesson 9: Receiving Payments and Insurance Problem Solving
Lesson 10: Office and Insurance Collection Strategies
Lesson 11: The Blue Plans, Private Insurance, and Managed Care Plans
Lesson 12: Medicare
Lesson 13: Medicaid and Other State Programs
Lesson 14: TRICARE and CHAMPVA
Lesson 15: Workers' Compensation
Lesson 16: Disability Income Insurance and Disability Benefit Programs
Lesson 17: Hospital Billing
Lesson 18: Seeking a Job and Attaining Professional Advancement
Marilyn Fordney, CMA-AC, Formerly, Instructor of Medical Insurance, Medical Terminology, Medical Machine Transcription, and Medical Office Procedures, Ventura College, Ventura, CA