Success in Practical/Vocational Nursing, 7th Edition
Part of the LPN Threads series, Success in Practical/Vocational Nursing: From Student to Leader, 7th Edition helps you develop the practical knowledge and problem-solving skills you need for a successful career as an LPN/LVN. This edition features up-to-date content that is logically organized with concepts that build on each other as you progress through the material.
- 1-2-3-approach walks you through the steps of what you need to do and how to do it.
- A separate chapter on critical thinking and plentiful critical thinking exercises encourage you to apply your knowledge to solve problems in both academic and personal situations.
- Coverage of Medicare helps you understand the costs of managed care, especially in long-term settings for older adults, and how it affects LPN/LVN practice and patients.
- Keep In Mind boxes prompt you to consider the underlying theme as you read the chapter.
- New Research and Evidence Based Practice chapter addresses topics commonly encountered in LPN/LVN practice.
- New technology content helps you understand the role of simulation in nursing education and the proper etiquette for using electronic devices.
- Content reflects the concepts contained in the most current NCLEX-PN test plan.
- Professional Pointers throughout the text offer valuable advice on expectations in the professional arena during and after nursing school.
- Revised chapter on Health Care Systems reflects the implementation of dramatic changes.
- Updated nutrition and dietary information includes new MyPlate information.
- The latest protocols from the NAPNES, including student confidentiality, keeps you updated on your national association's practice standards.
- Revised, updated, and expanded culture content allows you to provide culturally sensitive care.
UNIT 1: The Adult Learner and the Practical/Vocational Nursing Program 1. The Adult Learner: Hints to Succeed 2. Time Management: Making Time Work For You 3. Learning Methods and Skills: How Do You Learn? 4. Using Your Methods and Skills: Studying and Testing 5. Learning During School: Using Available Resources 6. Personal Health Promotion: A Role Model for Patients UNIT 2: Building Blocks for Your Career 7. How Practical/Vocational Nursing Evolved: 1836 to Present 8. Critical Thinking: A Lifelong Journey 9. Nursing Process: Your Role 10. Nursing Theory, Research, and Evidence-Based Practice 11. Ethics Applied to Nursing: Personal vs. Professional Ethics 12. Nursing and the Law: What are the Rules? UNIT 3: Patients and Coworkers 13. Straightforward Communication: Instructors, Coworkers, and Patients 14. Assertiveness: Your Responsibility 15. The Health Care Team: Where the Practical/Vocational Nurse Fits In 16. Cultural Uniqueness Sensitivity and Competence 17. Spiritual Needs: Spiritual Caring and Religious Differences UNIT 4: Health Care Environment 18. Health Care Settings: Potential Job Sites 19. Health Care Systems: Financing Issues and Trends UNIT 5: Leading and Managing Others 20. Leadership Skills 21. LPN/LVN Charge Nurse Skills: Management Including Assignment and Delegation UNIT 6: End and a New Beginning 22. Finding a Job: What Works, and What Doesn’t 23. NCLEX-PN Examination 24. Future Career Decisions: Choosing What is Right For You Appendix A: NAPNES Standards of Practice and Educational Competencies for Graduates of Licensed Practical/Vocational Nursing Programs Appendix B: NFLPN Nursing Practice Standards for the Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse Glossary References and Suggested Readings Illustration Credits Index NCLEX-PN® Review Question Answer Key NANDA Nursing Diagnoses (Inside Back Cover)
Signe S. Hill, RN, BSN, MA, Formerly Instructor, Practical Nursing Program, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Green Bay, WI and Helen Stephens Howlett, RN, BSN, MS, Formerly Instructor, Practical Nursing Program, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Green Bay, WI