Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-PN® Examination, 5th Edition
This title includes additional digital media when purchased in print format. For this digital book edition, media content is not included.
Get everything you need to review for the NCLEX-PN exam from one trusted source! This unique, bestselling review and preparation guide offers the perfect combination of core content review, practice questions, comprehensive rationales, and detailed test-taking strategies from the NCLEX expert herself: Linda Silvestri. Updated to reflect the latest NCLEX-PN test plan, this new edition features over 4,200 high-quality review questions in the book and on the companion Evolve website to help you hone your understanding of all the important NCLEX-PN content areas.
- More than 4,200 practice questions in the text and companion Evolve site provide ample testing practice in both print and electronic format – 500 more than the last edition!
- 15 pharmacology chapters address the emphasis on pharmacology questions on the NCLEX-PN exam.
- Hundreds of alternate item formats — including multiple response, ordered response, fill-in-the-blank, figure, chart/exhibit, audio, graphic option, and video questions — prepare you for this additional component of the new NCLEX-PN test plan.
- Pyramid points identify content that typically appears on the NCLEX-PN test plan.
- Pyramid to Success sections provide an overview of the chapter, guidance on what content to focus on, and its relative importance to the most recent NCLEX-PN test plan.
- Comprehensive exam consisting of 85 questions related to all content areas in the book and representative of the percentages identified in the NCLEX-PN test plan.
- Updated content and questions reflect the latest NCLEX-PN test plan.
- New full-color design makes for a more visually engaging learning experience.
- Priority Nursing Actions boxes outline and explain clinical emergent situations requiring immediate action, including detailed rationales and textbook references to help strengthen your prioritizing skills in clinical and testing situations.
- Pyramid Alert boxes reinforce learning of essential content frequently tested on the NCLEX-PN exam.
- New video and graphic option questions familiarize you with all the alternate item format question types.
- New chapter on Physical Assessment of the Adult Client highlights the key components of physical examination and health history often encountered on the NCLEX-PN® exam.
Unit I – NCLEX-PN Exam Preparation
1. The NCLEX-PN Examination
2. Preparing for the NCLEX Exam: Transitional Issues for the Foreign-Educated Nurse
3. Pathways to Success
4. The NCLEX-PN Examination: From a Student’s Perspective
5. Test-Taking Strategies
Unit II – Issues in Nursing
6. Cultural Diversity
7. Ethical and Legal Issues
8. Delegating, Managing, and Prioritizing Client Care
Unit III – Nursing Sciences
9. Fluids and Electrolytes
10. Acid-Base Balance
11. Laboratory Values
12. Nutritional Components of Care
13. Intravenous Therapy and Blood Administration
Unit IV – Fundamental Skills
14. Hygiene and Safety
15. Medication and Intravenous Administration
16. Basic Life Support
17. Perioperative Nursing Care
18. Positioning Clients
19. Care of a Client with a Tube
Unit V – Maternity Nursing
20. Female Reproductive System
21. Obstetrical Assessment
22. Prenatal Period and Risk Conditions
23. Labor and Delivery and Associated Complications
24. The Postpartum Period and Associated Complications
25. Care of the Newborn
26. Maternity and Newborn Medications
Unit VI – Growth and Development Across the Life Span
27. Theories of Growth and Development
28. Developmental Stages
29. Care of the Older Client
Unit VII – Pediatric Nursing
30. Neurological, Cognitive, and Psychosocial Disorders
31. Eye, Ear, Throat, and Respiratory Disorders
32. Cardiovascular Disorders
33. Metabolic, Endocrine, and Gastrointestinal Disorders
34. Renal and Urinary Disorders
35. Integumentary Disorders
36. Musculoskeletal Disorders
37. Hematological and Oncological Disorders
38. Communicable Diseases and Acquired Immunodefiency Syndrome
39. Pediatric Medication Administration
Unit VIII – The Adult Client with an Integumentary Disorder
40. Integumentary System
41. Integumentary Medications
Unit IX – The Adult Client with an Oncological Disorder
42. Oncological Disorders
43. Antineoplastic Medications
Unit X – The Adult Client with an Endocrine Disorder
44. Endocrine System
Linda Anne Silvestri, PhD, RN, Instructor of Nursing, Salve Regina University, Newport, RI; President, Nursing Reviews, Inc. and Professional Nursing Seminars, Inc., Charlestown, RI