2012 ICD-9-CM Coding Theory and Practice with ICD-10,
Learn to code effectively with ICD-9-CM medical coding and gain a thorough introduction to ICD-10-CM/PCS coding all in one text! Whether you're learning to code for the first time or beginning the transition from ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM/PCS, 2012 ICD-9-CM Coding Theory and Practice with ICD-10 delivers the fundamental understanding you need to succeed in hospital and physician settings and prepare for the October 2013 ICD-10-CM/PCS implementation. Leading medical coding authorities Karla Lovaasen and Jennifer Schwerdtfeger combine basic coding principles with proven, practical insight and the ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM/ICD-10-PCS Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting (OCGR) to equip you for complete professional success in the changing medical coding field.
- Coverage of both ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM/PCS coding equips you for coding success today and in your future career.
- ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM/ICD-10-PCS Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting (OCGR) provide fast, easy access to the latest codes and examples for proper application.
- Integrated medical record coverage familiarizes you with records and documents youÕll encounter on the job.
- MS-DRG documentation and reimbursement details guide you through this key component of the coding process.
- Line coding exercises and activities challenge you to apply chapter concepts to solve problems.
- A&P content in each coding chapter includes full-color illustrations and clarifies important anatomy and physiology concepts.
- Disease coverage details commonly encountered conditions related to ICD-9-CM coding.
- Updated Coding Clinics references guide you to the latest coding insights from the American Hospital Association (AHA).
- Procedure guidelines help you effectively apply ICD-9-CM Volume 3 codes for success in inpatient facility settings.
- Drug data familiarizes you with medication names you may encounter in medical records for greater coding accuracy.
- Companion Evolve website provides convenient online access to the Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting (OGCR), medical and surgical root operations definitions, MS-DRG list, and answer keys.
- Introduction to ICD-10-PCS chapter prepares you to code in inpatient facility settings after the October 2013 ICD-10-CM/PCS implementation date.
1. The Rationale for and History of Coding
2. The Health Record as the Foundation for Coding
3. ICD-9-CM Format and Conventions
4. Basic Steps of Coding
5. General Coding Guidelines for Procedures in ICD-9-CM
6. Introduction to ICD-10-PCS NEW!
7. Symptoms, Signs, and Ill-Defi ned Conditions, and V Codes (V codes and ICD-9-CM Chapter 16, Codes 780-799, and ICD-10-CM Chapters 18 and 21, Codes R00-99, Z00-Z99)
8. Infectious and Parasitic Diseases (ICD-9-CM Chapter 1, Codes 001-039, and ICD-10-CM Chapter 1, Codes A00-B99)
9. Neoplasms (ICD-9-CM Chapter 2, Codes 140-239, and ICD-10-CM Chapter 2, Codes C00-D49)
10. Diseases of the Blood and Blood-Forming Organs (ICD-9-CM Chapter 4, Codes 280-289, and ICD-10-CM Chapter 3, Codes D50-D89)
11. Endocrine, Nutritional, and Metabolic Diseases, and Immunity Disorders (ICD-9-CM Chapter 3, Codes 240-279, and ICD-10-CM Chapter 4, Codes E00-E89)
12. Mental Disorders (ICD-9-CM Chapter 5, Codes 290-319, and ICD-10-CM Chapter 5, Codes F01-F99)
13. Diseases of the Circulatory System (ICD-9-CM Chapter 7, Codes 390-459, and ICD-10-CM Chapter 9, Codes I00-I99)
14. Diseases of the Respiratory System (ICD-9-CM Chapter 8, Codes 460-519, and ICD-10-CM Chapter 10, Codes J00-J99)
15. Diseases of the Digestive System (ICD-9-CM Chapter 9, Codes 520-579, and ICD-10-CM Chapter 11, Codes K00-K94)
16. Diseases of the Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue (ICD-9-CM Chapter 12, Codes 680-709, and ICD-10-CM Chapter 12, Codes L00-L99)
17. Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System and Connective Tissue (ICD-9-CM Chapter 13, Codes 710-739, and ICD-10-CM Chapter 13, Codes M00-M99)
18. Diseases of the Genitourinary System (ICD-9-CM Chapter 10, Codes 580-629, and ICD-10-CM Chapter 14, Codes N00-N99)
19. Complications of Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium (ICD-9-CM Chapter 11, Codes 630-679, and ICD-10-CM Chapter 15, Codes O00-O9A)
20. Congenital Anomalies and Perinatal Conditions (ICD-9-CM Chapter 14, Codes 740-759, and Chapter 15, Codes 760-779, and ICD-10-CM Chapter 16, Codes P00-P96, and Chapter 17, Codes Q00-Q99)
21. Injuries and E Codes (ICD-9-CM Chapter 17, Codes 800-995, and External Causes, E800-E999, and ICD-10-CM Chapters 19 and 20, Codes S00-Y99)
22. Burns, Adverse Effects, and Poisonings (ICD-9-CM Chapter 17, Codes 800-995, and ICD-10-CM Chapters 19 and 20, Codes S00-Y99)
23. Complications of Surgical and Medical Care
24. Reimbursement Methodologies
Karla R. Lovaasen, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, Coding and Consulting Services, Abingdon, MD and Jennifer Schwerdtfeger, BS, RHIT, CCS, CPC, CPC-H, Partner, Auditing & Coding Experts, LLC, Crofton, MD